• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having Trouble With Some Widgets On Nova Launcher

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix
My title somewhat tells what's going on. Here is the deal guys, you know how you can have that favorite contacts widget on your screen when you first get a phone? Well after just getting my MAXX yesterday I dove into customizing it and got almost all the way done with that on the given launcher when I realized that I like Nova launcher better. So I changed over to it, told it to import everything I had done from the stock one which it did almost flawlessly until it came down to that favorite contacts widget. It went bye bye. Not only that but I can't access my widgets like you normally can when you scroll from you app drawer all the way over. It won't let me scroll over that far at all. It didn't do it to me after I turned off the phone and turned it back on because a widget wouldn't update.

It did however kill everything I had done up to that point once I turned the phone back on. So I had to start all over from scratch and once that was said and done I could no longer access the widgets like we are suppose to be able to. Instead I click on widgets and a drop down menu comes up as though I was clicking on the home screen. Not sure if the MAXX isn't good with Nova or if I just need to turn the phone off again and what not. I did tell it on it's very next power up that I wanted to stick with Nova as my launcher. I can't find the option to go back to stock as of this moment.

I have never run into this problem with any other phone and it's strange that this has happened. As tempted as I am to turn my phone off to see if that fixes everything, I don't want to go back and set everything back up again.

Assuming you are all stock, what you are describing is exactly the way things work post ICS. The Favorite Contacts widget is a widget that will only work with the stock Motorola Homescreen Launcher. I use an app/widget called MeContacts that is similiar, but a bit different than the Motorola Favorite Contacts widget.

Widgets never transfer over to your homescreens, only app icons. You have to re-load your widgets if you do a factory reset or if you start out with a new launcher like Nova Launcher. I don't know the exact reason why, but with ICS, the widgets for alternative launchers like Nova cannot be added to the homescreens the same way that you do it with the Motorola stock Homescreen. With the alternative launchers, and I believe it's the same with all of them, you add widgets to your homescreens from the drop down list that you describe. The drop down list only shows icons with a blank space to the right of each icon, but if you press in the box to the right of the icon and drag to the right edge of your screen, you'll see a description of the widget but it will only show it for one line at a time. I've used Nova, Apex, and Atom Launchers and they all load widgets in the same manner from the drop down list.

To easily switch between launchers, I use an app called HomeSmack and there are several similar apps available in the Play Store.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thank you. Yeah I actually figured out which one it was in that drop down list shortly after that last post I made. I just didn't know which one it was because like you said it's blank next to the picture. And actually on my Bionic I still had access to the regular widgets page like normal on the stock launcher. But I was on ICS. And I'm on ICS now. Now I'm looking at the thread on pictures of people's homescreens. So everything I spent 2 days setting up might be for nothing. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones