• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Having your voice mail code entered automatically

zenman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2010
To program your voice mail code so you don't have to enter it every time you check your voice mail:

menu>settings>call>voicemail settings>voicemail number>
If your code is 7777, this is how you would program it: *86p7777#p1

The p stands for pause. Once you program this, all you have to do to check your voice mail is hold down the 1 button on the phone and the phone will do the rest.

I'm pretty new to smartphones. This is one of my favorite tricks.
ZM

this works also:

Setting>Call>Voicemail Settings>Voicemall number, then after your full phone number, you can add in your pin by adding P, then your pin #, followed by the ound sign.

So your voicemail number should read (with using 212 as the area code & a generic #'s as my #) "12121234567p1234#"

Upvote 0
I use P's and W's. I also use Google Voice - which is the greatest thing in the world and completely disables the need for *86 (I shudder just saying those digits).

You can also use this for home or work voicemail systems. For my office, I have a speed dial set up to call and get my messages. Here is the number I dial:

###-###-####PPP*5P214#321#PP20
Pretty complex but the strategically placed "P" enables a pause while my system gets to point of asking me for a pin number. It then enters the pin and takes me to my messages. I even have it set to wait long enough for the system to tell me how many messages I have, before it presses 2-0 to take me to the 1st message.

It took a lot of trial and error before everything was timed out properly but now I just press one icon on the home screen and *BAM* I begin hearing my work messages!
But I also used to use the P's for my cell VM - pre GV!

Oh, and anyone who pays for Verizon's Visual VM service needs to get a GV account. It does the exact same thing for free. Can't get a GV invite, buy one on eBay. They run about $5-$10 but save you the cost of Verizon's VVM.

Upvote 0
Actually, the "pause" feature does not work that well on this phone, for instance, I have auto dial #9 set to call my office and have 6 P's to pause for 12 seconds (for ringing) and then the phone should enter my VM code to access my voice mail system and retrieve messages. However, if I place the phone to my ear after dialing the screen goes to black protective mode and will not recognize any pauses or enter any PIN codes until I turn the screen back on. Sort of defeats the purpose! Works well on my 3 year old Windows phone though.

Upvote 0
Actually, the "pause" feature does not work that well on this phone, for instance, I have auto dial #9 set to call my office and have 6 P's to pause for 12 seconds (for ringing) and then the phone should enter my VM code to access my voice mail system and retrieve messages. However, if I place the phone to my ear after dialing the screen goes to black protective mode and will not recognize any pauses or enter any PIN codes until I turn the screen back on. Sort of defeats the purpose! Works well on my 3 year old Windows phone though.

I just asked the exact same question.
http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/86502-how-does-know-screen-shutoff-during-call.html

To get around this, I have to leave the phone away from my body until all of the digits are entered. If the screen goes black before digits are entered, pull it away and it will resume the pauses and enter the digits.

It really sucks that this does not work right. That is something I use a few times a day and I hate the design of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones