1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Hboot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kanay2000, Oct 28, 2011.

1. kanay2000

kanay2000 Active Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Hi there :)

I've rooted my phone a while back, and flashed a couple of ROMs, currently using the official MIUI one. One thing I've noticed is that on some ROMs you have different requirements for different "Hboot" versions, which confuses me as I have no idea what Hboot is :p

So can someone kindly explain to me the following:

1) What is Hboot?
    2) How do I know what I have
    3) Whats the difference between "stock Hboot" and "CM7 Hboot"?
    4) And which one is errm ... better? ;)

Many Thanks :)

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    1 its the bootloader. It's what decides to boot into recovery or android. You must have seen it if you're rooted.

2 by booting into hboot (vol down + power from off) and reading the screen

3 if you're s-off, you cab change to different hboots which change the internal memory layout of the phone. You can see all the sizes on WWW.alpharev.nl

4 which ever best suits your needs

All this info is in the faqs

kanay2000 likes this.
  3. kanay2000

kanay2000 Active Member

Apr 27, 2010
  4. pinguin74

pinguin74 Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Hello SUroot,

how does HBOOT relate to the Clockwork Orange manager? Is HBOOT something like Grub for the linux desktop computer? And what is Clockwork technically seen? Clockwork let me install Cyanogen, so Clockwork is just an installer? Comparable to the rpm system on Linux?

Thanx

5. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Um, Clockwork Orange Manager? Do you mean ClockworkMod's ROM Manager? If so, do NOT touch this . There is quite an extensive sticky thread at the top of this forum detailing the troubles this seems to (now) cause. Had a friend who suffered with his phone after using it and it's one hell of a hassle to get it back to working order.

If you're referring to the ClockworkMod Recovery which is accessed via HBOOT, my limited understanding of it is that it's a custom recovery image for device admin use and a UI for "behind the scenes". It's essential, as you mentioned, for installing roms and scripts, but you can use it to manipulate your SD card as well as wiping your handset and cache etc. As for the questions on Linux.. I'm not too hot with Linux. Rather a keen novice hungry for more so I can't really help you on that side of things.

Hope I shed a bit of light on this as I'm still learning things every time I come on this board.:D

6. pinguin74

pinguin74 Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Oh, yes, ClockworkMOD is what I meant. I used ClockworkMod to install Cyanogen. So ClockworkMod is an image booted from HBOOT, it is not a program, rather an image? Is HBOOT the standard Android bootmanager or is HBOOT a 3rd party tool? Im also still learning, i want to understand some basics how Android works. Best regards.

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Have a read of my rooting faq. In my signature

8. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

Cant resist this topic. I am learning a lot in this area.

- recovery is more than just a installer. Its a full blown linux kernel. So android has two kernels. When hboot loads it has got option of either loading recovery kernel or boot(standard path) kernel.

- hboot is a bootloader. There is no equivalent of grub in android. hboot is rather like the BIOS in pc. The BIOS in PC hands over to grub or windows bootloader which in turn hands over to windows or linux. In android hboot hands over directly to linux.
    Windows world - BIOS>grub or windows bootloader>linux or windows
    Android world - hboot>linux>android virtual machine

- In android there is a joker in the pack. There are actually two processors. Yes TWO. One is called application processor and the other is called modem processor. hboot is the bootloader for application processor and radio is the bootloader for modem processor.

Jon_LTD and dan55 like this.
  9. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Yeah I was about to say that..

Have a Thanks buddy. My brain feels nourished.

10. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

Ha ha. Sorry if it's too dense. I scratched around at xda for long time to get this idea.
    If you want more read link in signature.

Tags: