• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HD battery - Desire Battery ?

just an update...
i'm more and more concerned about the short battery life. i charged it to 100% at 3pm yesterday, and by 1am, after average use and 50% screen brightness, it was on 10% and telling me to connect a charger.
it seems like, unless i'm running a scaled back service on my phone (no widgets, lowest screen setting etc), there's no way i can get a full day out of this thing. really disappointed.
anyone else in the same boat? any solutions?

Hi there !

I've been following this forum for quite some time, since I covet the DHD with all of my might (bummer though- I live in Canada...)-
I want an android device (my first) and I want it to be the DHD.

This battery update though got me quite down.

And sorry, carrying a spare battery to replace after 10 hours of moderate use is not a thing I'm ok with for a new phone that costs that much.

How is it acceptable for you guys? (and girls...)

Upvote 0
It's annoying as hell. But on the other hand my Hero survives from 7am 'till 11pm and asks for juice, so if the DHD could do 7-7 that would be enough. Plus, if you're working in an office you can always plug it into your PC and since I normally travel by car I don't see a point when I'd have to replace the battery. Overseas trips might be an issue, but hell, getting two spare batteries for the road won't hurt - not that they weigh ton or sth :)

Upvote 0
these type of batteries improve with normal use. Overcharging etc isnt going to help.

Give it a couple of weeks and see how it improves. Don't forget its a new phone so may well need a tweak via an OTA update.

I was concerned about my desire for the first week or 2. Now it easily lasts a day and a half with normal use - ie not using GPS or facebook/weather/email updates all day.

Upvote 0
these type of batteries improve with normal use. Overcharging etc isnt going to help.

Give it a couple of weeks and see how it improves. Don't forget its a new phone so may well need a tweak via an OTA update.

I was concerned about my desire for the first week or 2. Now it easily lasts a day and a half with normal use - ie not using GPS or facebook/weather/email updates all day.

On the other thread in this forum about the DHD battery there are some very different stories told....

Upvote 0
Battery life is pretty terrible on this lol, thought my iPhone 3G was bad! Not sure what's caning it yet but I get probably 6/7hrs before it's telling me to charge.

In my battery stats it just says "Android OS" as being the culprit.

Once again, its going to depend on how you use the device.

Hi there !

I've been following this forum for quite some time, since I covet the DHD with all of my might (bummer though- I live in Canada...)-
I want an android device (my first) and I want it to be the DHD.

This battery update though got me quite down.

And sorry, carrying a spare battery to replace after 10 hours of moderate use is not a thing I'm ok with for a new phone that costs that much.

Look at it this way. My Hero I got a full days usage out of.

My Desire HD, I still get a full days usage and thats double processor, bigger screen, better backlight, more power hungry apps, etc etc.

If you don't want to carry a battery spare with you, then its up to you...the only way to get round it then if you want the phone is to experiment with the phone and its battery (IE disable, wifi, use 2g networks, tone down the screen, etc)

It's annoying as hell. But on the other hand my Hero survives from 7am 'till 11pm and asks for juice, so if the DHD could do 7-7 that would be enough. Plus, if you're working in an office you can always plug it into your PC and since I normally travel by car I don't see a point when I'd have to replace the battery. Overseas trips might be an issue, but hell, getting two spare batteries for the road won't hurt - not that they weigh ton or sth :)

See logical thinking!..*buys you a beer*

Agreed..I remember the Hero on the 1.5 drank the battery..1.6 came better battery management.

On the other thread in this forum about the DHD battery there are some very different stories told....

Exactly, down to how the user uses the battery

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones