1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HD TV > Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jefboyardee, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    I get a few channels of HDTV with a converter at my home and am curious if, since this crap is coming over the air, is there an android app that can also get it? All I find on the market is manufactured feeds, all with some ulterior motive. Pardon my dimwittedness on this subject...

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    If you have seen cable or satellite a few years back, you would see your local network affiliates available and neighboring states' network affiliates greyed out.

It's legally complicated (what legal thing isn't?) but the basic deal is networks feed to affiliates and subscription services and the affiliates are not allowed to encroach on each others' territory.

So, if they're not allowed to do it via cable or satellite, they're not not going to do it via a simple mobile feed.

Me, I'm with you. How about putting up a deal that detects my location and just lets me watch net feeds of the local stations?

Maybe one day, they'll get the vision and brainpower to figure that out. However, given that the websites for every network, affiliate, and TV service is, ironically, visually abhorrent and given that their websites are textbook cases of how to advertise that your company is in an internet stone age unique to the television industry, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anyway, could happen tomorrow, I am often wrong. :)

jefboyardee likes this.
  3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks. My curiosity involves seeing how many more stations I get with the phone on my roof, helping me decide if I want an antenna up there for the TVs. But I shall remain curious.