• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HD2 running Android 2.3.7

So I've been running 2.3.7 on my HD2 for a while now. While it's definitely better than Windows mobile I'm running into an issue with the contact/facebook sync. I came from the myTouch 4G and the contacts auto synced with my facebook friends. With the HD2 it kind of picks and chooses which contacts it wants to associate with facebook. Does anyone have any idea how to make these sync? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before...I searched I swear...any help at all would be super rad!

Thanks so much!!:eek:

So I've been running 2.3.7 on my HD2 for a while now. While it's definitely better than Windows mobile I'm running into an issue with the contact/facebook sync. I came from the myTouch 4G and the contacts auto synced with my facebook friends. With the HD2 it kind of picks and chooses which contacts it wants to associate with facebook. Does anyone have any idea how to make these sync? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before...I searched I swear...any help at all would be super rad!

Thanks so much!!:eek:

Can you tell us specifically which ROM you are using? There are probably several that use Android 2.3.7. If you are using a Sense based ROM then it should have a similar look and feel to your myTouch 4G, so I'm guessing it's not Sense based? If it is Sense based then you should be able to Edit your contact and then select the link icon and then browse to their Facebook profile.

If the ROM is not Sense-based, then you probably need to go into the "People" or "Contacts" application (make sure you use the default application and NOT one from the market, otherwise these steps might not work). Once you see the list of people then select a contact and hit Menu > Edit (or you can just long press their name from the main screen to edit). In edit mode, select Menu > Join. From here you should be able to choose a contact to join with the contact being currently edited.

I tried this on Cyanogenmod 7 and got mixed results from it. Most of the time my Facebook friends would show up in the join list but not always.

I would recommend that you first open the Facebook app, go into Menu > Settings, and then look under Other settings > Sync Contacts. Make sure that the "Sync all" option is checked and then force a sync by going to your home screen and then Menu > Settings > Accounts and sync. Then hopefully when you go to join contacts it will pull everyone in from Facebook. Maybe that would have fixed it for me too? I don't know -- I'm on an Evo and ditched CM7 to go back to a Sense ROM.

Upvote 0
It's CM7. "I tried this on Cyanogenmod 7 and got mixed results from it. Most of the time my Facebook friends would show up in the join list but not always." Yeah...that's what happened. I guess I can keep trying to mess with it or switch to a different ROM.

I'm semi-new to the whole Android thing...let alone changing the ROM. I had no choice but to do it with my HD2 because it was either give it a shot or downgrade to Blackberry. Do you have any suggestions? Previously I was using a MT4G...and that was pretty easy to navigate. PS thanks for the response ~*^_^*~

Upvote 0
I'm semi-new to the whole Android thing...let alone changing the ROM. I had no choice but to do it with my HD2 because it was either give it a shot or downgrade to Blackberry. Do you have any suggestions? Previously I was using a MT4G...and that was pretty easy to navigate. PS thanks for the response ~*^_^*~

Did you try that join option I mentioned? If that still doesn't help then you could either flash a new ROM or you could try using SyncMyPix from the market if all you want to do is pull over their pictures.

I flashed the prj Clean Desire ROM on a buddy's HD2 and he really likes it. It's a Sense-based ROM so it should sync your contacts better. If you want to give it a shot, the download link is in the first post here:

[12 JAN] prj Clean Desire v0.3.2 [Kernel: prj v0.4] - xda-developers

It's actually very easy to flash a new ROM, especially since you already have Android on there (which means all of the pre-reqs installed). Basically you just do this:

1. Download the RUU (ROM Update Utility) to your computer. This is just a .exe file that you run, so it will have to be a Windows system (boo). It might run under Wine on Linux but I have never tried.

2. Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable.

3. Power down the phone and then press and hold the power button and keep holding it while it boots up. It should load up into a program called MAGLDR.

4. Select option 4 (I think?) to put it into USB flasher mode.

5. Run the RUU that you downloaded in step 1 and just follow the instructions.

If you do flash a new ROM then make sure your contacts are all backed up first (in Google for example). If you want to save your text messages then use SMS Backup and Restore from the market to back them up. After you load up the new ROM you can just restore from the file it created (which will take a good 10 minutes or so to restore).

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones