• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HDMI audio works, but not video

Palmetto Fellow

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
SC
I bought one of those $4 (shipped) HDMI cables off amazon. I ccouldn't seem to get it to work...and then all of a sudden, I got audio.

When plugged in, I see the HDMI logo appear on the status bar...and I was able to get sound to the TV...but no video.

Does audio and video travel on different pins, or is the audio/video combined under some protocol and the entirety of that signal is transmitted over the sum of the pins?

Could I have a break in one of the internal wires that prevents the video from showing, or is there a larger problem here?

If the Audio works, that means the tv and phone are connected to each other (digitally). There should be no reason why one would work and not the other. What are you trying to play videos from? the stock video app?

This is why I am trying to figure out if the audio runs separate from the video. If both audio and video are combined and packaged together and then transmitted TOGETHER to the TV, I can't figure out why only the audio works. Perhaps audio occupies 2 pins, and video occupies the other pins???

I guess I need to do some research on HDMI with google's help, and maybe wikipedia...

I shot a video with my EVO, and I am playing it back. Only the audio from that video comes through. I've tried playing with the HDMI video out settings, but didn't get it to work. There are only 3 settings...720P, 480P, and Automatic. I am pretty sure I tried all three...but if I didn't, 480P was the only one I didn't try.

Perhaps tonight I will try again, and make sure that I select 480P so there is no doubt in my head about that. The TV support 720P, so I don't even see why this would be a problem.

Upvote 0
With Wikipedia's help, I've determined what is transmitted across each pin, but that information was useless to me. The first 12 pins were some form of TMDS data/TMDS clock. The remaining 7 pins were for power, ground, and other things that don't mean anything to me.

I may end up paying $30 for a Rocketfish micro HDMI cable...I don't really want to have to...but if I am to have HDMI...this is the fastest way to rule out the cable I have.

Upvote 0
It dawned on me, as I was pulling into the parking lot of the Sprint store, that the HDMI dock you mentioned would not fit my phone with the Seidio case on it...when I got inside, my suspicion was correct...

ALso, they were $39.99 at the store, not $30...but for me it didn't matter.

They too sell a $30 HMDI cable, but it's in the most generic packing I've seen (clear plastic bag). Would I be better served with that cable or the Rocketfish cable given they are the same cost?

Upvote 0
hrmm...for the fact that you are testing...and were right there I most likely would have grabbed the cable in hand and went home to test. I don't know that there would have been much of a difference between the two..and both best buy and sprint have a 30 day return.

at that point and time I think the main question in need of resolution was is the cable you have bunk...or the phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones