• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
I have a regular hdmi-hdmi cable for av stuff, and i have mini hdmi -hdmi for laptop to av, what type of cable for charge. There wasn't one in the box, not assuming there would be, but need to get something mail order. Want to make sure what I am getting is correct as the shipping is more than the cables.

I have a regular hdmi-hdmi cable for av stuff, and i have mini hdmi -hdmi for laptop to av, what type of cable for charge. There wasn't one in the box, not assuming there would be, but need to get something mail order. Want to make sure what I am getting is correct as the shipping is more than the cables.

You want micro HDMI. Check out monoprice.com. They offer USPS shipping so it's extremely reasonable (less than the $3 cable). You can get a 3ft micro HDMI to regular HDMI for about $5 shipped.

Upvote 0
Has anyone picked up or tried a micro HDMI cable with their Droid Charge? I was thinking of picking one up from Monoprice, but looking at the clearance with the little cover rotated away, plus the recess in the side of the device, I'm worried that some of these connectors won't work quite right. From looking at the pictures, the plastic casing on the micro-hdmi side of the cable tends to be quite a bit larger than the metal connector. Our phone looks like it needs something with a slim casing. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Upvote 0
Has anyone picked up or tried a micro HDMI cable with their Droid Charge? I was thinking of picking one up from Monoprice, but looking at the clearance with the little cover rotated away, plus the recess in the side of the device, I'm worried that some of these connectors won't work quite right. From looking at the pictures, the plastic casing on the micro-hdmi side of the cable tends to be quite a bit larger than the metal connector. Our phone looks like it needs something with a slim casing. Anyone have any feedback on this?
I have been using the 10 foot micro HDMI from Monoprice for a couple of weeks. I spent $8 including shipping so I could so I could be farther away from the TV and operate the DC. Monoprice is the only place to buy any cable. Best quality and best price.

Upvote 0
So watson and I must have something odd going on since it appears it works without changing anything for everybody else.

Any thoughts?

I should update that I got a cable from monoprice and it works great. Have you ruled out your cable as the problem?

On a side note, I noticed that the TV I connected to reports the input signal as 1080i. Interesting as I don't recall ever seeing that info published in the specs. I suppose I could encode 1080i/p content and get full quality out.

Upvote 0
Did you push the volume up button on your Charge, to make sure media volume was turned up ?

Yes volume is up, it will actually work with a 3.5 mm headphone jack on the hdmi input that has a 3.5 input so I can use that as a workaround but the point of hdmi is a single cable. TV is capable so I may need to break down and buy another hdmi to see if I just got a bad cable.

Upvote 0
No Sound out when I use my newly purchased HDMI cable, apparently my Sony TV doesn't support Sound? Why can't I specify where the sound comes from, the HDMI, Charge Speakers, head Phones, Bluetooth?

I'm having the same issue. I just got my DC last week and got the HDMI cable last night. I was testing out the connection using the HBOGO app, I am able to get video to my TV just fine but I cant get an audio signal. Here's what I tried:

1. I tried all three HDMI inputs on my TV (Bravia) and the picture is fine on each, but I can't get audio. The HDMI cable I bought was from Amazon (seller was Gizmodo) and the description said the HDMI cable was compatible with the Charge. It was actually in a Charge bundle that included other accessories. I can try another HDMI cable but given that the video works I doubt that's the issue.
  2. I also made certain that the phone's volume and media settings were turned up as high as possible, ditto for the TV.
  3. I can't get sound for anything through the TV - I tried the music player, no go. I opened up a game and can't hear the background music. And I can't hear any phone sounds through the TV either.
  4. A Verizon rep suggested that there is some content that is restricted and can't be played through HDMI. But I get no errors or messages to the effect, and I get the video, so obviously that's not the issue either.
  5. I then took a video. I can play it back on the phone with sound. I can play it on the TV, with video, but no sound.

Any thoughts on what's going on with the sound would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I also tried to use an audio cable that connects the phone's headphone jack with the TV's audio in port. That did not work either. But I saw in another thread here that the Android OS does not support splitting the HDMI output between video and audio - so you can't channel video content to the TV and the audio to your stereo. Looks like someone logged a bug on the Android OS board.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Update an hour later: So I never thought to try this with another HD TV. I have some off-brand cheapo TV that I never use (not even hooked up to cable). Vizio I think. The HDMI output - video and audio - works just fine with that tv. So perhaps this is all because Sony and Samsung don't play well together.

Upvote 0
Hi all. Google sent me here as I try to troubleshoot. I have a Charge and I ordered this HDMI cord: Amazon.com: HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable, High Speed with Ethernet, 6 ft , For HTC EVO 4G: Electronics

I've tried plugging it into a Dell PC monitor and a Dynex TV, and neither recognize a signal. Is it safe to assume that the cord does not work and is the problem (no sound or picture)?

In other words, when you plug the HDMI into the Charge and TV, the homescreen should show up on the TV, right? I don't need to change any settings (other than the correct input on the TV) or download any apps?

Upvote 0
Hi all. Google sent me here as I try to troubleshoot. I have a Charge and I ordered this HDMI cord: Amazon.com: HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable, High Speed with Ethernet, 6 ft , For HTC EVO 4G: Electronics

I've tried plugging it into a Dell PC monitor and a Dynex TV, and neither recognize a signal. Is it safe to assume that the cord does not work and is the problem (no sound or picture)?

In other words, when you plug the HDMI into the Charge and TV, the homescreen should show up on the TV, right? I don't need to change any settings (other than the correct input on the TV) or download any apps?

I just recently purchased this same exact cord and mind works fine when hooking it up to my Vizio TV (no settings changed on phone).

Perhaps try taking the phone and cable somewhere (perhaps Walmart or BB) and see if they'll let you connect it to another TV. It will at least eliminate the TV/Monitor.

Reactions: speedym
Upvote 0
I just recently purchased this same exact cord and mind works fine when hooking it up to my Vizio TV (no settings changed on phone).

Perhaps try taking the phone and cable somewhere (perhaps Walmart or BB) and see if they'll let you connect it to another TV. It will at least eliminate the TV/Monitor.

"Hi, may I see if my phone's HDMI works on this TV?"

Guess I'll try that on my next shopping excursion. I have a friend with a Samsung TV, so I suppose I could try that as well.

Upvote 0
"Hi, may I see if my phone's HDMI works on this TV?"

Guess I'll try that on my next shopping excursion. I have a friend with a Samsung TV, so I suppose I could try that as well.

Tried the HDMI cable to a Samsung TV and it did not work, so I decided it was not worth my time to try and check it on TVs at a store. I emailed the company and told them the cable does not work, and asked if they could send another.

I might have to take my phone into a store to get looked at to resolve this issue: http://androidforums.com/samsung-droid-charge/381327-my-verizon-app-ruining-phone.html#post2989144 ... so I might see if I can have them check the HDMI port on the phone itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones