1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HDMI HDCP after update ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by glennj, Sep 30, 2011.

1. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I have been using the HDMI port with my Droid3 for audio and video - watching 1080p movies even works if you get the movie where the Droid3 can see it in its local storage. Just using a Dynex cable from Best Buy.

I am having a real problem now though. I tried to watch a YouTube video via HDMI today, and it skips. Starts/Stops over and over. The video blanks and returns and blanks and returns. Hmmm... tried the same connections with Pandora, same problem. Audio and video blank out and return over and over !

The Droid3 was connected to my Denon HDMI receiver, and the TV was connected to the receiver for input via HDMI as well. I started thinking, "Looks like some issue with the HDMI DRM handshaking !" So, I reconnected the D3's HDMI port to run directly to the TV's HDMI-in, and everything started working fine, except now I have to listen to the music through the TV's crappy audio...

I've just updated to the OTA and I don't remember ever having a problem like this before with HDMI and the Droid3. So I wonder if there has been a problem introduced with this update involving HDMI HDCP handshaking through pass-through audio devices like my Denon receiver ? No other HDMI device I have used has any trouble going through my receiver (AVR-391) and up to the TV...

I checked with Denon support and they say, "This normally occurs when a source device is not communicating properly or not fully compatible with the HDMI repeater in your receiver." and that I should check for updates to the Droid3 firmware to make the phone compatible with the HDMI1.3a or 1.4 spec for flagging "repeaters" correctly.

I don't think it was doing this before the update, but I am not sure about that. Videos recorded with the phone's camera will still play back through HDMI via the receiver to the TV with no problems, but YouTube videos will not and neither will Pandora audio.

Glenn

Advertisement

2. rikki.aug2

rikki.aug2 Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Technology Analyst
    Chandigarh,India
    Hi Glenn,

I am developing an application of a client where i need to direct the live streaming output to HDTV using HDMI port. Can you let me know any information I need to look through to check how the data can be transmitted to HDTV from my android device.

Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Rikki

3. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    First, it turned out that my problem with the HDMI streaming through my receiver was due to the Best Buy micro-to-normal HDMI cable (Dynex brand) being defective. I got two different micro-to-normal HDMI plug adapters from Monoprice cheap, and they both work fine when the Dynex cable messes up. Will return the Dynex.

As far as sending stuff out of the Droid3 HDMI port, I think you would want to use "Mirror Mode", but I don't know how to control that in an app.

Glenn

4. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I have had this problem in the past as well. A bad HDMI cable can lead to a bad HDCP (encryption) handshake so it won't put full HD onto the wire.

I had this happen with a medium quality cable. Replacing cables is much easier than changing components. I blamed my Tivo for a while, then the amp. It was always the cable.

Cheap cables work fine, if you can get one that works. Cablemart or monoprice are so cheap you can keep a spare.