• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HDMI/MHL Capability

dachillefx

Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone had success and or tried to watch videos/movies from the DNA on their 1080p HD TV??? If so what is/are you alls opinions. If good I"m gonna go get the necessary accessories to make it happen. Just wanted and needed to know if it would be worth it. Thanks in advance DNA Fam...

Has anyone had success and or tried to watch videos/movies from the DNA on their 1080p HD TV??? If so what is/are you alls opinions. If good I"m gonna go get the necessary accessories to make it happen. Just wanted and needed to know if it would be worth it. Thanks in advance DNA Fam...

unfortunately, all we have in the house are 720p's.....but before upgrading my phone, i did learn that the MHL/HDMI cable i purchased for my old Rezound does work with my DNA and the image is pretty spectacular.

hope this helps a little.

rich

Upvote 0
It works, using my bog-standard 5-pin MHL cable with my HTC Butterfly today. Really nice and crisp mirroring full HD compared to mirroring 720p, as I have done with previous devices. That said, does seem to introduce problems for 1080p video playback. Videos that play smooth on the phone are a bit jittery when mirrored. Seems that rendering it at 1080p on the device as well as doing MHL output is just a little bit much (whereas the same video is smooth on other phones like the Note 2 where it is only rendering at 720p on the phone screen). The video in question has a bitrate ~10,000kbps though, it may not be a problem for lower bitrate stuff (and since exFat formatting doesn't work on the Butterfly as it does on the Note 2 I'm unlikely to watch higher bitrate videos as they will be larger than 4GB in size).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones