• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Edbanger

Sep 24, 2009
hi all. does the S2 have a hdmi out to connect to a tv? ive read some reviews that say it does, but i have not seen where its located on the phone in any videos. also, does it do hdmi mirroring like the lg2x or atrix ?
Ive never had a samsung before. apart from the lack of support from samsung with regards to updating the os, are they any good....ie reliable, strong and good quality.
ive also read that it has gorrilla glass screen. is that correct. thanks for any help. if anyone has any links to good reviews id appreciate that too.especially videos..

Gorilla glass is confirmed at several spots, so seems solid, however I note that Samsung do not list it in the official specs (they didn't for the original Galaxy S either, and it has it).

Don't know about HDMI out, there is no dedicated port, however there are some reports that this is handled via the micro USB port - armdevices.net says: Samsung Galaxy S2 has a MHL (Multimedia High-definition Link) connector, which basically allows the Micro-USB to do much more than just be a Micro-USB connector, it can for example output 1080p with a Micro-USB to HDMI cable. I'm digging some more to see if this is true.

EDIT: Interesting, if you go to the press materials at the offical site the specs listed have a few things not included in the main site listing (and vice versa) - it says there in the specs that the SGS2 has MHL. Seems its official.

Upvote 0
It does have HDMI. A new standard (introduced by Nokia, Sony, Toshiba, Samsung etc.) first used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 to output HDMI and charge at the same time through the Micro-USB connector, it also allows for some data to be sent back from HDMI such as using the TVs standard remote control to also remote control the device.

More information:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtwTcnR0hqA

Upvote 0
Nobody has really tried it, except GSMarena, who got the adapter with their review unit direct from Samsung. It is full mirroring, check their blog for their video showcasing it. I get my cable very soon and can provide more information then, however I'm getting my MHL cable ahead of their commercial availability, so you won't be able to get one until 1-3 weeks after I get mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones