• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Head unit doesn’t detect USB

I bought a generic android head unit (quadcore r16 Android version 6.0.1 mcu 5.3.19).

The USB port charges my iPhone but the entire system doesn’t seem to detect it so I cannot play music via usb. Same with regular usb drives.

I downloaded the usb host controller app and it detects them: it says iPod usb interface (which appears when I plug the iPhone).

Tried toggling usb debugging. A few words appear, I click “accept” but it stays off.

Tried the developers settings and changed the usb mode from mts to charge and to usb audio and its the same.

Tried mass storage apps but they just seem to detect if something is plugged.

Another problem: my iPhone detects the head unit as a Headset and not as a proper car unit and then sends lower quality audio.

Any solution to both of those things?

I suspect the car Android head unit only supports USB flash-drives and hard-drives formatted as FAT32. It wouldn't have the capability and system drivers to connect to an iPhone. It's basically same as USB-OTG on an Android phone, it only supports mass storage media as FAT32, like flash-drives.

To get a PC(Windows) to recognize an iPhone or iPad it requires iTunes installed AFAIK. And Macs support iOS devices natively of course.

As for the iPhone detecting the head unit as headset profile, that might be all it does. What make of Android head unit actually is it? Are there any manufacturer specs for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Can't help you with the iPhone part. It's my understanding that an iPhone can be mounted as USB mass storage, but the file names are scrambled by iTunes and there would be no playlist.

As mike said, the unit probably can only read FAT32, so if you take a flash drive with a few mp3's and insert that into the head unit's usb port, does it then recognize it?

Did the thing come with any instructions at all?

Upvote 0
Ok same thing as andrey but I have a android I can charge my cell but I can't mount the drives I have interal storage on cell and a 200gb SD card mounted in the cell I can't find either in "/dev/" folder and I don't think I can write a device and install it to that folder without root access and yes I have tried a fat32 usb jump drive with just mp3 music and I got nothing and second question is how to root a generic android car unit with android version "8.1 Go" model "8227L_demo" build # "android-trunk-m0.AC8227L-V1.0" and or just to be able mount my cellphone storage drives

Upvote 0
Hello friends! I bought an Android Head Unit MIB4 (SC9853I) for my VW Golf 7: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.25.71201862OEMWlE Everything works fine but I'm having problems with the USB ports.. the 3 usb ports charge my phone but they don't read any usb drive with music. I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem.. I've tried formatting several usb drives (4gb , 1gb, 64gb) in fat32 but none of them are read by any usb port of the headunit. Please, help me! and thanks in advance..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones