• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heading to Mexico for vacation, want to do voice over WiFi

MrZaphod

Jun 3, 2010
Well - I have the Google Voice account from an invite. Have the application. I am aware of Sipdrod etc. and gizmo5. Frankly, I've never setup the whole thing before. Basically, I'm in a general ignorant state as to getting my Eris voice over WiFi ready. I have free WiFi at the resort in Mexico, and well...I wanna do this...lol.

What is the easiest most pain free way to get everything setup. Heck, I'm probably almost there and I don't even know it!

Thanks everyone for the help in advance!

:)

And don't forget about Skype
Skype Lite Beta v1.0.0.5 Application for Android | Communication
However I believe that international calls are billed, only in-country calls are free. I'd expect that to be true regardless of the application used - thought I freely admit that I'm not a voice over IP expert or anything.

Skype doesn't work over wifi yet. Right now it only works over 3G, and I don't think the OP wants to use Verizon's network when he's in Mexico.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones