1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Headphone Jack Output Quality?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zeldaboy101, May 31, 2011.

1. zeldaboy101

zeldaboy101 Guest
    None
    I'm trying to decide which VZW Smartphone to get at the moment and I really would rather not get an iPhone, so i've been waiting for the right android phone whose strong points are the ones i'd use the most. One of those points that is somewhat important is the output quality of the headphone jack.

The iPhone, being an iPod, sounds amazing and may be impossible to beat, but if a phone is really close or really terrible it would definitely sway my decision. I would definitely hook my phone up to my car's aux port and probably use headphones on it to watch/listen to stuff. I'm not an audiophile but I can tell the difference between an iPod and crappier MP3 players, so...how compressed is the sound quality through the headphone jack on the Charge?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Advertisement

2. BobDog437

BobDog437 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I just got one on Sunday and tried to use the jack last night. Tried 3 different sets and an Aux cable, to my car stereo. None work! I seems to be a different jack size. It is sloppy and if I back the plug out, I can get some sound, static, and lose the sound. Did a live chat with Samsung....totally worthless. He had me do a soft boot on the phone:thinking: Tried asking for the millimeter size of the jack and was told to call their accessories dept. for compatible head sets. I will go back to Verizon tonight, or tomorrow and hopefully, this is a bad jack on the phone. I just bought this $100 set of Klipsch buds and they work fine on my LG and iPod Touch.:(

3. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    It is a 3.5mm jack. My $10 Phillips work like a charm. Nice tight connection, no static or anything. Not an audiophile, but my jack is solid. And for ten bucks, the headphones sound great. Better even than my Moto S10-HDs, wich just are not as loud.

4. zeldaboy101

zeldaboy101 Guest
    None
    Sounds like yours is defective, it should definitely work with regular headphone plugs. Take your aux cable into the verizon store and see how it fits on another charge?

5. carlosp

carlosp Newbie
    None

May 23, 2010
    Make sure the plug is all the way inside the output jack, the first time i tried using headphones on mine i had a problem similar to the one you are describing only to find out the plug wasn't in all the way now it's a very nice tight fit so it looks like you have to add a little bit of force when using the jack for the first time. Best of luck!

6. BobDog437

BobDog437 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks for the responses. I will make a trip to the Verizon store tomorrow. So far, like the phone. Bit of a learning curve. It's my first Android product and really going to be my first smart phone. I tried a Blackberry a couple of years ago and hated all the tiny keys. As long as I don't do anything else, like turn the data off and then go in saying I don't get 4, or 3G. Didn't realize how it was turned off and felt like a real dumb ass.