• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Headphone port on Thunderbolt is a cheaply made

Okay so got the replacement phone today. The head phone jack on this phone works flawlessly with the same head phones and the 2 other sets I have. So there is in fact a bad batch of these phones that have defective head phone jacks.

I urge all of you to call verizon and let them know that you are having issues so at least it will be known to them that some of the head phone sockets are defective.

Just Saying...

Feel free to give them to the link to these posts if you like as well.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
Okay so got the replacement phone today. The head phone jack on this phone works flawlessly with the same head phones and the 2 other sets I have. So there is in fact a bad batch of these phones that have defective head phone jacks.

I urge all of you to call verizon and let them know that you are having issues so at least it will be known to them that some of the head phone sockets are defective.

Just Saying...

Feel free to give them to the link to these posts if you like as well.

Glad to hear you got it fixed Strife, now put them bad azz phones to the test :)

Upvote 0
Man you guys are nuts. I listen to podcasts ALL DAY, literally 12 hours every day when I'm working. And I work in the soda industry..So I do a lot of bending, stooping, throwing, yelling, driving. I RARELY...IF EVER have this problem, and when I do, it goes away in a milisecond. And honestly, I've had this "issue" with my OG droid, and almost every ipod I've ever owned. In fact, I can't say there hasin't been a single device where I plug in a headphone jack where that happens. It may not happen at first..but eventually it will..

Upvote 0
Man you guys are nuts. I listen to podcasts ALL DAY, literally 12 hours every day when I'm working. And I work in the soda industry..So I do a lot of bending, stooping, throwing, yelling, driving. I RARELY...IF EVER have this problem, and when I do, it goes away in a milisecond. And honestly, I've had this "issue" with my OG droid, and almost every ipod I've ever owned. In fact, I can't say there hasin't been a single device where I plug in a headphone jack where that happens. It may not happen at first..but eventually it will..

Sorry dude this never happened on any ipod or iphone I have ever owned nor any walkman I have ever owned or psp I have ever owned. Its a flaw. Think however you wish but I will not tolerate spending 250 dollars on something that is not correct. Call me anal or whatever but I am very fussy about my electronics and every piece of equipment I own is in near mint condition.

Upvote 0
Isn't the Thunderbolt pretty much an EVO with a small injection of steroids (hardware)? I am asking because I use my EVO as my primary means of music in my vehicles. Which means I have to plug the auxiliary cord into the headphone jack every time I enter/exit one of my vehicles. Haven't had a problem at all with the jack tearing up or hearing funny noises.

As I stated its not effecting all units. My audio wasnt tearing up or making funny noises it was flat out preventing sound from going to the left speaker.

Upvote 0
Did you notice that Motorola and other phones are shipped with a higher mah capacity battery?

Have you recorded video only to discover the sound is barely there?

Look, I'm sick of people who want so badly for the phone to be perfect that they insinuate everyone who has had a legitimate issue is a whiner, or insane. Funk that.
The battery issue is 100% legitimate and I am infuriated as well. The power starved EVO had a bigger battery capacity than this. Why did HTC make it smaller? Most likely to sell you the extended battery since this one is just marginal at best.

After this phone I've had it with HTC. The video issue is an oversight and example of their very poor QA that will be fixed. But what about the 8GB of internal memory that (a) isn't there or might be there but we can only use 2.4GB? (b) that also doesn't mount?

As much as I hate Blur, I'll give this to Moto - at least their phones come with everything you need out of the box and haven't started showing significant corners being cut which are discovered after purchase.

Upvote 0
I had this issue also. Took to VZ store and they replaced phone no questions asked. No problems with the new phone whatsoever!

The second time I had the head phone issue I took it the verizon store and they told me it was absolutely normal and then proceeded to tell me my head phone plug was bent even though it did it with the head phones they tried as well. Thus leading me to call corporate who sent me a new phone not sure if its a refurb or what but at least it works now.

Upvote 0
I just purchased my Tbolt last week. I've had nothing put positive remarks about it. HOWEVER, I have been experiencing an issue so far. I have 2x headphones & a headset.
I plugged in my headset and the left side was going out. I immediately thought there was an issue with my headset, but what was perplexing is that the headset is fairly new. So, I just twisted the cord a bit and the sound came back.

Then, I plugged the Tbolt into my aux. cord on my car radio and it wasn't getting any audio feedback. So, I went to Radio Shack & purchased a new cord, waa laah! It worked.

Then, I put in my Sony headphones @ the gym and the left side was out. By this time, I was suspicious that it wasn't my headphone or headset. So, I went & tested it with my other set of Sony headphones & it worked just fine. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the 3.5 audio jack, but those same headphones that had 1 side go out, I tried them on my friend's Incredible and she told me she couldn't hear anything.

My review for the phone was 9/10 because of battery life, but now it's a 6/10 because I usually love to use it to workout with at the gym & listen to music.
Has anyone found any solution to this before I go & swap the phone @ a store?

Upvote 0
i had the EXACT same issue. verizon first told me i had bad headphones, they were brand new. then they told me i wasn't plugging them in secure enough. so i took 2 pairs of headphones including the brand new one and my ipod and demonstrated to them the difference in the thunderbolt.

they agreed to replace it for me. i got my replacement which has a dead pixel in the screen and the SAME headphone issue! very disappointing since i subscribe to rhapsody and listen to the music in my office, on the stereo at home and in the car!

the thunderbolt is pure useless junk!!! my verizon mobile...ya still no update for that either!!!!! battery, if you're a thunderbolt user you know the concerns with that as well. this phone was NOT ready for consumer level production!!!

Upvote 0
i had the EXACT same issue. verizon first told me i had bad headphones, they were brand new. then they told me i wasn't plugging them in secure enough. so i took 2 pairs of headphones including the brand new one and my ipod and demonstrated to them the difference in the thunderbolt.

they agreed to replace it for me. i got my replacement which has a dead pixel in the screen and the SAME headphone issue! very disappointing since i subscribe to rhapsody and listen to the music in my office, on the stereo at home and in the car!

the thunderbolt is pure useless junk!!! my verizon mobile...ya still no update for that either!!!!! battery, if you're a thunderbolt user you know the concerns with that as well. this phone was NOT ready for consumer level production!!!

Like, honestly, what company f*s up on an audio jack??? I have never heard nor seen this issue with any other phones.... :(
I am going today, I'm so annoyed.

Upvote 0

ya, nuts because we paid an a$$ ton of money for a shi^^y phone?!? i've had many phones and ipods that cost LESS and never had this kind of trouble. the phone is junk! btw, do you even OWN a thunderbolt??? if not then WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!!

Upvote 0
ya, nuts because we paid an a$$ ton of money for a shi^^y phone?!? i've had many phones and ipods that cost LESS and never had this kind of trouble. the phone is junk! btw, do you even OWN a thunderbolt??? if not then WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!!

A few bad devices doesn't equal a crappy phone. I'm sorry you are having this issue, but it is not a majority of people who are. We saw people with the same issue over on the OG Droid forums, some had to take the device back 3 or 4 times before they got one that didn't have the problem. Would you call that device shi**y?

Oh and just for the record I DO own a TB, and I'm sure the person you quoted does as well. Just because someone else doesn't agree with you or is not having the same issues doesn't mean they do not own the phone. The majority of the people that bought a TB are not having this issue at all.

Upvote 0
Had the Thunderbolt since day 1 release...had to replace that one within the 14 days due to the volume rocker buttons on the side would not move...

This new Thunderbolt has been awesome with no problems, but now all of a sudden as of yesterday, no sound comes out at all when you plug headphones into it (tried 3 different pairs)....

I sure hate to return it a second time and risk getting another one that has a different problem with it...but does anyone have a good guess as to whether this could be some type of software issue that may be resolved eventually...or is it definitely a hardware problem where I have no choice to return it? Ugggg....this Thunderbolt has been perfect for me...why all of the sudden would the headphone jack stop working? :(

Upvote 0
Funny thing is I didnt use any of them extensively all these issues surface within the first four hours I have the device. I havent even really been able to mess around with it.

Just get one of these and be done with it! :D

2a855906_Sony-walkman-2.jpg

Upvote 0
My audio is going on and off on one side of my speakers. When I move the jack around it comes back and then goes away. I have tried three different headsets and get the same issue.

Will Verizon replace this phone? Is there a 1 year warranty on the phone or do I have to go through insurance for replacement?

If it is indeed a hardware issue with the headphone jack (and it sounds like it is) then yes that would be a warranty replacement. Either call VZW, or go into a corp. store and have them do the replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones