• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Headphones 3.5mm via a USB C adaptor

smurph1

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2010
Northern Ireland, UK
I have searched the web and youtube, and trid sevral methods, but to no avail, and am yet to find a solution, and see MANY others having same issue.

I WANT to use my existing headphones, that have a 3.5mm jack.
And connect thru a small adpator with into USB C.

Is there a method to tweak the phone settings to accept this??

I have searched the web and youtube, and trid sevral methods, but to no avail, and am yet to find a solution, and see MANY others having same issue.

Of course I don't know what you've tried already, and what the apparent problems are. But the "adaptor" needed is a USB DAC(Digital Analogue Converter), which basically converts the digital from the phone's USB into something that will drive headphones via the DACs 3.5mm jack.
Something like some of these...
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+dac+android&ref=nb_sb_noss

I've used a borrowed Fiio Q3 with my Galaxy Note20 Ultra and it worked perfectly.
http://www.fiio.com.cn/q3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I don't have an s21, but I've used 3.5mm headphones through several different adapters over the last few years. What you need to know is that there are 2 types of adapter out there. Some phones have a DAC and amp in the phone and output analogue audio via USB-C, so for those you want a "passive" adapter with no DAC. Most however output digital audio via USB-C, and for those you need an adapter with a DAC. From the previous 2 posts it sounds like Samsung come into the second category, in which case almost any adapter that has a DAC will work: the "almost" is because you don't want to use an Apple adapter: they will work, but the output volume is very low when used with any non-Apple device (something I find hard to imagine is accidental).

Upvote 0
Hi....the main issue with that Y splitter is that it has a female TRRS jack on the one end, so you would have to have a TRRS male (sound in addition to mic) to TRRS male (sound in addition to mic) link to associate it to the USB-C earphone/mic connector (expecting that specific one you have truly is an earphone/mic connector and in addition to an earphone just connector). From the previous pictures, it appears as though the Synco framework may accompanied a male TRRS to male TRRS link that you could utilize (can't exactly tell in the image if the two closures are TRRS or then again on the off chance that one end is TRS).

Assuming it's anything but a TRRS to TRRS link, you would likewise require this to associate the USB-C connector to the Y splitter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones