• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Headphones - microphone

I don't know if it would work in real-time, but I know that the speakers will play back clips recorded from the mic, so I don't see why headphones wouldn't.

I believe the question was whether someone could plug an external mic into the G Tablet, like a smartphone headset. I've wondered about this myself. I am an audio tech, and I use an audio analyzer application for EQing out feedback. There are plenty of times that I have wished for a bigger readout than my 4" Samsung Mesmerize. I have a couple of different mic adaptors that use the TRRS (Standard headphone jacks are TRS, Tip-Ring-Sleeve, but some jacks have the extra ring for a mic) that I would probably want to use if I were to pick up a G Tablet.

Upvote 0
I have a stereo headset previously used with Nokia 800 tablet. The headset has an integrated microphone and on/off switch in the microphone "pod". The connector has a 4-section 3.5 mm plug that fits into headset connector on g-tablet. I have been unable to make this headset work with g-tablet running vegan 5.1 ROM. Using the sound recorder software, the g-tablet built-in microphone seems to be only possible input.

I also have a bluetooth stereo headset (Samsung SBH500) with its own microphone. I have also been unable to record sound from this headset.

Both Nokia and Samsung headsets reproduce stereo sound from the g-tablet.

Upvote 0
I have a stereo headset previously used with Nokia 800 tablet. The headset has an integrated microphone and on/off switch in the microphone "pod". The connector has a 4-section 3.5 mm plug that fits into headset connector on g-tablet. I have been unable to make this headset work with g-tablet running vegan 5.1 ROM. Using the sound recorder software, the g-tablet built-in microphone seems to be only possible input.

I also have a bluetooth stereo headset (Samsung SBH500) with its own microphone. I have also been unable to record sound from this headset.

Both Nokia and Samsung headsets reproduce stereo sound from the g-tablet.

I wonder if you need an app like the DSP on CyanogenMod, in order to select input devices?

Upvote 0
Since bluetooth hardware is available and working for other devices, only software stands in the way of having full support for bluetooth headsets (includes microphones and stereo audio output). Zebulon is correct, the analog audio (headphone) plug apparently does not have support for mic input, and this limitation cannot be resolved without changing the hardware. However, bluetooth has no such hardware limitation. Also, USB has no such limitation, but USB headsets may be inconvenient due to the required wiring.

I have heard that USB headsets may work with gtabs, but have no personal experience with this.

Upvote 0
Since bluetooth hardware is available and working for other devices, only software stands in the way of having full support for bluetooth headsets (includes microphones and stereo audio output). Zebulon is correct, the analog audio (headphone) plug apparently does not have support for mic input, and this limitation cannot be resolved without changing the hardware. However, bluetooth has no such hardware limitation. Also, USB has no such limitation, but USB headsets may be inconvenient due to the required wiring.

I have heard that USB headsets may work with gtabs, but have no personal experience with this.

I have tried using a USB audio interface with my G-tab, and it didn't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones