• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Headphones not recognized

dsnyder

Lurker
Sep 24, 2017
My cricket wireless ZTE grand x4, aka z956, has a recurring problem where it won't recognize headphones. The headphones icon doesn't show up in the status bar and audio from any app plays through the phone speakers. I know it must be a software issue because it is intermittent (usually after running for at least a day) and solved by restarting the phone. I did a hard reset last week which solved the problem until yesterday when it came back, so I have to restart my phone every now and then when the headphones won't work. At this point I'm completely lost as to which direction to go with this problem. I'm considering sending the phone in under warranty for repair but don't know how much good that will do. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

My cricket wireless ZTE grand x4, aka z956, has a recurring problem where it won't recognize headphones. The headphones icon doesn't show up in the status bar and audio from any app plays through the phone speakers. I know it must be a software issue because it is intermittent (usually after running for at least a day) and solved by restarting the phone. I did a hard reset last week which solved the problem until yesterday when it came back, so I have to restart my phone every now and then when the headphones won't work.
Look in the audio port and see if there is any fuzz or dirt in there. You should be able to just blow it out.

Upvote 0
I wish it was that easy. Blowing out the dust does nothing, however restarting the phone immediately resolves the issue (temporarily) and allows the phone to recognize headphones.
Sounds like a silly question, but do the headphones work in other devices, and have you tried another pair?

Also, have you taken the phone apart recently? On the ZTE I once had ( it was a real cheapy one) the audio port inside the phone was really loose, and if I hadn't been careful I could have easily broken it without noticing.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a silly question, but do the headphones work in other devices, and have you tried another pair?

Also, have you taken the phone apart recently? On the ZTE I once had ( it was a real cheapy one) the audio port inside the phone was really loose, and if I hadn't been careful I could have easily broken it without noticing.

I use the same headphones with my iPad regularly, never had a problem. the phone has never been taken apart. A good portion of the time I get lucky and the headphones work with the phone, it's just once in a while I plug it in and they aren't recognized. Restarting the phone fixed the issue every time I've tried it, at least a dozen times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones