1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Head's about ready to explode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heywood, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heywood

heywood Member

Jan 26, 2010
    i followed all the instructions to root the eris and i'm pretty sure all has gone well.

Just to preface, i am technically adept. Just no linux/android experience ever.

So while I believe for the most part all is ok, I still have some problems.

The phone is rooted, while running normally & attached to the pc in usb debugging mode, from the command prompt doing an adb shell only gets the $.

So i figure maybe i did something wrong, i know i can see i've made the right steps when doing a vol up + power on, so i find drocap, a root only app. I install it, i'm able to take screen caps no problem.

So i figure let me try booting into recovery mode, NOW when i type adb shell i get the #

So I wanna see if i can remove some of the apps I don't want
    "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"
    works fine
    "Now type "cd /system/app" and then "ls"
    works great, i can see all the apps but it still isn't letting me delete.

That was in the afternoon.

I took a break, had dinner, tv, when i returned....whatever it was i did earlier just evaporated
    I don't know if i omitted anything but when i do
    "cd /system/app" it says it's invalid, but if i do a plain "ls" then i can see all the folders of the phone but i can't get back to that system\app folder

what am i doing wrong ?

thanks for your patience

Advertisement

2. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Android Expert

Jan 28, 2010
    open a command prompt in your /tools/ dir of the sdk, type adb shell and then su...you will then get a prompt on your phone, hit always allow. then you all set

heywood likes this.
  3. heywood

heywood Member

Jan 26, 2010
    sir, you are a lifesaver

and if a mod is reading, please insert that valuable piece of into into the deleting unwanted apps thread

thanks

4. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Android Expert

Jan 28, 2010
    dont forget the thanks button, hehehe...glad i could help...i had same problem and was going to kill myself as well, lol