• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heartbroken

I lost Daisy Spring of 2013, and I still haven't gotten over it. Passage of time just makes me more upset and curmudgeony. I'm slowly turning into either Roy D. Mercer or Thelma Harper.

Bubbles going only compounded the issue.

There's another book I'd recommend, called Animals and the Afterlife. I heard it recommended on an old Go Vegan Radio podcast, and had to get it.

Upvote 0
I lost Daisy Spring of 2013, and I still haven't gotten over it.
March 11th marked ten years since my mom died--2013. I'm still not over her loss, for a myriad of reasons, but mostly the sense of lost time. Too long to go into here, but she and I had a very tumultuous relationship over the years, and really only, FINALLY, made peace during her last 10 months of life. Marking ten years while still grieving Joy Noelle so hard was really unpleasant. My mom loved Joy Noelle in a way that is hard to explain in words, but that little kitten brought out a creative, artistic side of Mom I never knew existed. I try to comfort myself now by thinking "they're together, and they're having a blast!"

• Wow
Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
I missed out on most of Daisy's life, having only met her in 2009, when she was already pushing 13 years of age (about 78 in deer years). But it was the best three years of my life at the time. It was also the best three years ever in tech. (although she hated smartphones and anything that distracted my attention away from her). The real day we bonded though was February 28, 2010. I had just gotten my iPhone 3GS, and my intro to that era had just begun. That's a date I'll never forget.

At least I finally learned from experience the average lifespan of a deer, around about the same as a dog, anywhere from 13-16 years. It's still too damned short, and even worse is the lifespan of any large breed rabbit, being around 7-8 years total, with the smaller (and even harder to care for) being able to push 10-15 years.

I still think her and Bubbles are snuggling and playing together...I just wish I could join in the fun as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least I finally learned from experience the average lifespan of a deer, around about the same as a dog, anywhere from 13-16 years
Not for Great Danes. Back in the '70s when I got my first Dane--and he was a 3-week-old puppy whose mother had died! (and I was a teenager with no experience properly raising a newborn puppy)--our vet and everyone else told us that their average lifespan was 6-7 years. That was awful to hear. I'm happy to say that I must've done something right, because Shadow, the 3-week-old, lived to 9-1/2 years! He was my protector when I was pregnant. Well, actually, he was my protector ALL the time, but his actual age happened to coincide with my daughter's fetal age, i.e., when she was born he was 10 months old. (Yes, she was overdue--and weighed 10 pounds. :eek:) My all-time favorite [female] Great Dane, Star, whom I've mentioned, died right before turning TWELVE. My only Dane who died within their expected lifespan was Queenie, who suddenly developed a GI problem (not bloat) that rapidly killed her, I mean before we could even get her to my vet. She was almost 7.

It's sad that dogs and, apparently, rabbits have lifespans inversely proportional to their size. You'd think a dog who weighs more than most humans would live the longest, but, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Upvote 0
March 11th marked ten years since my mom died--2013. I'm still not over her loss, for a myriad of reasons, but mostly the sense of lost time. Too long to go into here, but she and I had a very tumultuous relationship over the years, and really only, FINALLY, made peace during her last 10 months of life. Marking ten years while still grieving Joy Noelle so hard was really unpleasant. My mom loved Joy Noelle in a way that is hard to explain in words, but that little kitten brought out a creative, artistic side of Mom I never knew existed. I try to comfort myself now by thinking "they're together, and they're having a blast!"
March 8th marked my father's 23rd year of death. I still can recall the hospital room we were at though, I still remember the young nurse shave his beard for the first time ever he has got a shave of someone else. March 20th marks my Aunt's first year crossing the rainbow bridge too, also on March 5th is when my girlfriend lost her father.. So yeah.. I also keep thinking that too "They are together, they are having a blast."

• Sad
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Small dogs are the ones that live shorter lives. It's the opposite of smaller rabbits. Many Pom-pom's only live to be 6-7. Some larger breeds either grow too quickly and die sooner, like the giant Schauzer, or possibly Great Danes. I'm not a dog expert, just a deer expert.

Rabbits are extremely sensitive. They can literally be scared to death. the most common ailment they get is GI Stasis, which happens when they don't eat enough. They must ALWAYS have food available. If a rabbit ain't leaving a trail of coco puffs, seek a vet immediately!

Another reason to adopt and don't shop. A ton of bulldogs have lung issues. I've never known a single Bulldog that didn't breathe as if they had asthma. The creepy ways that breeders mutilate animals to produce 'pure-breeds' is horrendous.

All the books I've read about dogs as a child said they live to be 12-13 years, but we've had a couple that pushed 16+.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones