• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help heat issues

Anyone else's Fascinate getting really hot when using the browser or games? Mine is getting hot. Not just warm, but almost uncomfortably hot. I notice the screen is getting the hottest, but the back of the phone can be pretty warm (even through the case I have on it). It's not that big of an issue, but was wondering if I was the only one having this problem, or if I should consider taking my phone to Verizon and getting it replaced. Thanks!! :)

That was one of the things I checked for in the Fascinate (and the X, Incredible and Droid 2) in the store as I was trying to make up my mind on a new phone.

Not much warmth at all as I used the browser and goofed around with the phones.

The one I purchased has no issues at all. If it did I'd be back to that store quickly for an exchange. Of course, warmth and heat can be subjective.. one user's "warmth" might be somebody else's "over heating."

But you're saying, "..uncomfortably hot." There is no way I'd keep a device that was that way in my hand.

As far as the causes, there can be many, but any of those causes, short of something such as leaving it in the sun on the dashboard of your car, spell "bad device" to me.

Upvote 0
I've heard of people's Fascinates getting untouchably hot with ~normal use. They exchanged it and have not had issues since.

Mine gets warm when using it as a phone to my ear, but not as a phone via bluetooth (yeah, I have no idea).

Also when I charge it and use the GPS and leave the screen on full brightness the entire time during a trip.

But even then, it doesn't get as hot as you seem to be describing...so...yeah...exchange it!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies! I tested out my boyfriend's Fascinate as well, and his gets pretty warm too. I haven't noticed it getting uncomfortably hot since I posted the thread, so I'm going to hang on to this phone for now. If it continues though, it's definitely getting exchanged (for another Fascinate, of course)! :)

What is a good battery monitoring app, so that I could see the temp of the battery?

Upvote 0
Yes my Samsung fascinate gets extremely hot! Charging is the worse. I don't use my phone while charging so I don't understand, so I decided to turn off the phone and let it charge the phone got so hot the warning icon of a thermostat showed up obviously indicating it was too hot. I unplugged and took off battery and let it sit and cool I don't understand what's causing this issue for me. One time the phone was on and charging I was receiving a call the phone was so hot I couldn't hold it in my ear I had to pit in speaker phone to be able to talk. This phone gets bad signal compare to my previous phones like my blackberry and Droid 1, even other Verizon phones my family has get better signal strength that I do. I called tech support the Guy took it as an exaggeration and said it was definitely not a known issue and he wanted me to take off battery and reset I explained I did all the above and it just don't work. He then suggested I go to the Verizon store and have them check it out. I explained it happens when it wants to there's times its warm hot extremely hot its like all over I had a lot of phones in the past and none this over heating problem to this extent. I haven't been to the Verizon store still but I will I just don't want to be dealing in that store for 30-60 min trying to find a solution, but if anything I will be there this weekend. Tech support is useful over the phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies! I tested out my boyfriend's Fascinate as well, and his gets pretty warm too. I haven't noticed it getting uncomfortably hot since I posted the thread, so I'm going to hang on to this phone for now. If it continues though, it's definitely getting exchanged (for another Fascinate, of course)! :)

What is a good battery monitoring app, so that I could see the temp of the battery?
Gosh there literally are dozens of battery apps in the Market. Had to pick any over the others. I tried out 5-6 and they all seemed the same and all reported the same percentage remaining and same temps. You could almost pick blindly and not miss a beat

Upvote 0
Check out Tempmonitor Lite (puts temp in notification bar) or BatteryLife widget (widget that shows temp) from the market and see what battery temps it is showing. Using Navigation for 30min+, I usually top out at about 43C (~109F) compared to 50-60C (122F-150F+) on the original Droid I had so it seems to run significantly cooler. The Droid would get so hot that it'd trigger the phone to stop charging.

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
Check out Tempmonitor Lite (puts temp in notification bar) or BatteryLife widget (widget that shows temp) from the market and see what battery temps it is showing. Using Navigation for 30min+, I usually top out at about 43C (~109F) compared to 50-60C (122F-150F+) on the original Droid I had so it seems to run significantly cooler. The Droid would get so hot that it'd trigger the phone to stop charging.
Wow I didnt have that app. I have one for battery temp not cpu. Nice find. Yeah when I first tested it I was 31

Upvote 0
I like this app:
This seems to be my idle temp:
snap20100927_234141-1.jpg

I got it down to 24/75 for a second but as soon as I shake the camera for ShootMe it shoots up a degree.
So my cpu temp range seems to be 75

Upvote 0
Hey all, have had my Fascinate for 5 days now and love it! I have had the device get very warm and found out, at least with mine what was the cause. ITS THE CAMERA. After you use the camera, and switch to another app, most times the camera stays running (not always), most times. This will heat up your phone ALOT. Kill the camera app and all is "kool". Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I have not had any heat issues at all with any games or other apps, including Angry Birds. If my phone was getting as hot as several posters report, it'd be back to VZW in a heartbeat. The bummer is that if it's out of the 30 day return, you're going to get a refurb.

I've actually felt it getting quite hot while playing Angry Birds. A couple of times the phone has completely locked up while playing. Now whether that is due to the game being in beta or the heat I am not sure. But it does have me concerned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones