• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Helium backup for unrooted-How thorough?

I used Helium yesterday when I factory reset my Galaxy Nexus. It is pretty complete. It restored everything from the history of the Speedtest.net app to my Dropbox favorited items to Google Doc offline files to Nova settings (yes, I know Nova has it's own backup).

I use the paid version so I can back everything to Dropbox. I think the free version just lets you store backups locally. I suppose in that case just make sure the backups aren't in your internal memory or else the factory reset will wipe it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
So, I ran Helium to backup my apps/data to my SDcard. I copied the folder to my PC as insurance, too.
Do I unmount the SDcard prior to factory refresh, reinstall Helium, then remount the card to perform the restore?

That sounds right to me. After you do the factory reset, you will need to install the apps from Google Play, unless you told Helium to backup the apk as well as the data.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones