• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Helium (Backup Solution for non-root users)

The free version should have a PC Download option. It lets you download your data via a web browser on your PC.

+1

Your device and computer should be on the same wifi network.

On your device in Helium-

Click menu/ PC Download. Your device will now display "Helium server is running" and show you the IP address of your phone with a port.

On your computer -

Open any web browser, in the URL bar enter the complete IP address being displayed on your phone.

You will be presented with Helium's web interface where you may select what apps you want to backup and the toggle "data only option".

Your browser will then start to download a zip file of your backup, if you opt to save the full apps + data the download can take some time.

In order to restore your zip file just run the Helium web server on your device, Launch your browser and select your zip file, or drag and drop it into the box and go from there.

Reactions: HighSierra
Upvote 0
Thanks for the clear instructions. That works fine. I was thinking that it would communicate between the phone app and the PC app to do the backup via the USB connection.

BTW what is the purpose of the PC app?

The only thing the desktop application does is send a series of ADB commands to your device that enables the helium app to access and save your app data.

If you have a rooted device you do not need the desktop app as Helium can configure your device via superuser access.

Once you are done with with the desktop app you can uninstall it if you so desire.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a GPS problem and Google wants me do a factory reset, so I am trying to use Helium Free (for now)for backup/recovery and am having US connection problem

I installed Helium on my MAC (10.7.5) and Nexus 7 2013 (Kit Kat 4.4.2).
Both apps are running.
Devices connected via USB
USB debugging enabled in Developer options
However neither the Nexus nor the MAC recognizes the USB port
There is no notification for USB on the Nexus
I found USB setting under Storage in Settings (weird place to find this)
Set mode to PTP
No dice.

Mac Helium says: PLease connect your Android to USB
Nexus Helium says: Waiting for Helium Desktop application to…
Not talking to each other.

What to do ?

Thanks
Changed USB port – no luck
Changed USB cable – no luck

Appreciate any suggestions

Upvote 0
it is, but i dont like my apps tied to a specific google account. like if i ever want to switch to a new, different account and delete my old account, i'd have to re-buy all the apps. plus the app management on google play isnt all that great in my opinion. at least on amazon i can basically permanently delete an app from my list if i want, or permanently delete devices. just personal preference really.

Upvote 0
it is, but i dont like my apps tied to a specific google account. like if i ever want to switch to a new, different account and delete my old account, i'd have to re-buy all the apps.

I've always been anti-Amazon App Store, admittedly for no real reason other than there was always a Google Play store (or Market) and I saw no need for another app source. But you make a good point - having app purchases tied to a specific Google account can be a bad thing. In my case, my Google account is in my own domain, so when I retire (if ever), I'll need to keep my domain alive with a paid host, or repurchase all my apps under a new account. I never really thought about the Amazon App Store as a solution to this problem until now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones