• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello All.

Hi all,

I am a Fire Chief in lower Michigan and a firefighter for the University of Notre Dame (Go IRISH!)
Anyway I have several drawers full of once used gadgets, but not so much lately. All failed to totally win my heart for various reasons, partial list to include 1. I LOVE Linux, cant stand winders(no flames please)
2. Open source is important to me althought I am not a developer.
3. The unit must be useful to me, and not too big.
4. I need my calenday, (6 google calendars in google apps) and email (gmail personal and business in google apps) contacts (moving to google apps, and googl contacts) etc...

I have tried using the old handsprings, then went to Dell V50, then V51x. All worked as stated but not for me.
I then played a while with the Sharp Zaurus line. Loved them, liked playing with the different ROM's on them, but really never made it work effectively. (thay are in the drawer too)

I have wanted an android since it came out, but T-Mob has nearly 0 coverage in my area. Low and behold FINALLY VZW is getting the Droid.

I cant wait (althought the ebay auctions were too high for my blood, and probably wouldn't get it till avaryone else got theirs too) I am really looking foreward to this device, and trying to keep myself in check as far as expectations.

This forum looks like an excellent community, reminds me of the Gentoo, and Kubuntu forums I have used for quit some time now.

Mike

Hi all,

I am a Fire Chief in lower Michigan and a firefighter for the University of Notre Dame (Go IRISH!)
Anyway I have several drawers full of once used gadgets, but not so much lately. All failed to totally win my heart for various reasons, partial list to include 1. I LOVE Linux, cant stand winders(no flames please)
2. Open source is important to me althought I am not a developer.
3. The unit must be useful to me, and not too big.
4. I need my calenday, (6 google calendars in google apps) and email (gmail personal and business in google apps) contacts (moving to google apps, and googl contacts) etc...

I have tried using the old handsprings, then went to Dell V50, then V51x. All worked as stated but not for me.
I then played a while with the Sharp Zaurus line. Loved them, liked playing with the different ROM's on them, but really never made it work effectively. (thay are in the drawer too)

I have wanted an android since it came out, but T-Mob has nearly 0 coverage in my area. Low and behold FINALLY VZW is getting the Droid.

I cant wait (althought the ebay auctions were too high for my blood, and probably wouldn't get it till avaryone else got theirs too) I am really looking foreward to this device, and trying to keep myself in check as far as expectations.

This forum looks like an excellent community, reminds me of the Gentoo, and Kubuntu forums I have used for quit some time now.

Mike

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones