1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello all!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by roostercrab, Sep 24, 2011.

1. roostercrab

roostercrab Lurker
    None

Sep 24, 2011
    I have just recently bought my first android device, an HTC Sensation on T-Mobile, after I was released from my job as a network admin. I have determined to start my own company back up and specifically went with Android so that I could develop an infrastructure based on Linux distros that would integrate with my phone.

So far I have been disappointed with the ability to use the phone as an integrated part of my business, specifically because I have not found any usable systems that would let me create work orders, organize schedules, manage tasks or plan projects. I mean there are plenty of apps for these things, but none that seem to be really effective for what I need.

Some of the apps don't appear to integrate very well, one example being the visual voicemail app that possibly came from t-mobile. It is always in disagreement with my actual voicemail box about how many messages there are. When I apply a new launcher, it loses some menus and if I load a new web browser or messaging service, they run contiguously and appear to interfere with each other.

I know that most of these things are probably just related to my being a n00b on these types of devices, but it really does seem to be more complex than I would have thought a product from Google would be. I would also like to set a mode for absolute minimum of power consumption, with say a black screen and basic icons for enabling wifi, or sending text messages that loads almost nothing in memory.

And it is an interesting concept to be killing tasks all the time. I have Go Launcher installed and I seem to constantly be killing tasks to improve performance. I'm here to find out about the proper care and feeding of this phone, if I should root this device to gain control, and what are the risks of doing so. I need a functional phone, so I don't want to get in over my head. :)

I look forward to talking to you all about the various things, and I may repost parts of this verbatim in the relevant question forums, but I look forward to exploring the options.

Jesse

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Welcome to Android Forums. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties finding apps that will perform as you desire. Here is a link to an area where we discuss Android apps that might prove useful to you. Android Applications - Android Forums
    I might also suggest that you stop killing your running tasks. Android has written their apps so that they take very little resources when they are tsr. They will use more resources trying to restart after you have killed them. You can read up that and more in your phone's sub forum which is here: HTC Sensation - Android Forums Best of luck to you and I hope through the use of these forums you will gain the insight to better enjoy your Android device.