• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello, and why I'm here

Greetings one and all. I don't normally make introductory posts but this seems as logical a place to tell my story as any :eek:

I don't own a smartphone and I have no intention of getting one but the idea of the iPod Touch slowly grew on me. This was slightly against my non-Apple tastes though so I never looked into it. I bought a Creative Zen Vision:M several years ago instead of an iPod (before phones became 'smart') and I'd certainly been happy with it from the start. When I think about it, as the number of tracks on it grew it started to get slower at displaying the lists and it is starting to get a bit frustrating, but as it was gradual, I am used to it.

Then things changed this year when an unidentified update to Windows XP prevented my Zen from being recognised so I could no longer add tracks or use the computer's USB to even charge it! Luckily, I have a mains charger as well and my Laptop hasn't been affected by the dubious update (but has updates waiting to install...) so all was not lost but it was less than convenient. I have since managed to resolve the problem (eventually found the solution after lengthy Googling) but...

With my old MP3 player starting to look like a paperweight, I began my search for a replacement and came across the Samsung Galaxy Player - a smartphone without the phone! Reviews seemed to rate it as practically identical to the iPod Touch (any advantages of one were balanced by advantages of the other and in some cases would depend on other factors as well) so with the addition of SD capabilities and lack of Apple limitations, it seemed a clear win for me. It would replace my old player and get me more up to date without requiring phone contracts... but having resolved the Zen's problem I really can't justify the cost of it just yet so I'm here to dip my toe in the Android water and ready myself for the eventual purchase (hopefully, the cost will have dropped a little by then too :D )

Hello and welcome to AF. :)

Great to see you're ready to take a look into the android world and hope you find the device your looking for. The best places to start would be here Android Phones and here. Android Tablets You can find all kinds of android tablets and smartphones here and can get reviews, specs and more! You can even ask the good members around here about good android tablets and phones and get there opinion. I hope you have a great time here and hope you find the forums here to be very helpful. If you have any questions or need help please feel free to ask. :)
Enjoy the forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones