1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello android people

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by donsaab, Jul 5, 2011.

1. donsaab

donsaab Lurker
    None

May 2, 2011
    Sawmills
    W Wales
    Hi to all who show an interest in this post. Well what can I say, I live in this wonderful land we call UK, were the taxs are low and it never rains.
    As a newbie, arent first posts / threads always the hardest. I really want to find the answers to my andriod phone, like why is my internet so dam slow, and I cant uninstall half the apps I dont even use, but keep logging into memory anyway... And how the hell did iplayer get on there, and why cant I even uninstall the app. Questions, Questions, Questions, but then thats why we join the forums, is it not??
    Anyway, Im running the lastest andriod on a Sony Ericsson Arc (X12), its on contract with voodoophone, and on the whole Im V happy with it. My main use is connecting to internet via tethering on 3g, I dont have a LL, so this my only option. Ive had the phone since it came out in UK, before that I had the X8 and killed it, it didnt like my job. Talking of which, I work at a sawmill, I run a mobile saw, capable of cutting lengths of timber (logs) upto 6.2m in length and upto 7ft accross. My car is a saab gm900se 2lT, MY1994, kicking out 240bhp at the wheels, and I love it. Had the car for 4yrs now, since that time I have upgraded almost everything on the car myself, all self taught. I am a fairly active member on saabcentral, the advise on there helped me a great deal. I am hoping the same from this site also...
    OK I think thats enough banter and getting to know you rubish, most probually see me in either the andriod or SE Arc sections, to try and get shot of all the apps I dont use nor want.
    Soz for long post, better than nothing

Don

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums.

Of course the people who have your phone will be the most knowledgeable so frequent the SE forums as often as you need to. The internet slowness could simply be the orientation of your phone and a reduction in the 3G signal. It's hard to diagnose with such a general complaint.

The apps you can't uninstall are most likely put there by Vodafone and you'll need to root your phone if you want them gone. I will point out that unless you are actually using those apps, the only impact they have is on the amount of space they take up. Ignore them.

As for the apps you don't use showing up in memory, they may actually be used by other apps, or Android is precaching them in anticipation of use, but if you are not using them, they aren't really doing any harm. What you don't want to start doing is arbitrarily killing off apps because you don't recognize them. Android (2.2 and up) does a much better job of managing resources all by itself.

3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Welcome!

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male