1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello everyone...just looking to get an android phone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nzdreamer55, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nzdreamer55

nzdreamer55 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    Veterinarian
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently the owner of a Blackberry Storm 1 and while it has been good to me I am looking to the android phones. Right now we are in North America (specifically the USA), and want to stay with verizon. When the "smart" phones first came out the storm was kind of the first touch screen besides the Iphone, and now the market as exploded.

Right now I use my phone as well ... a phone, a podcast player getting podcasts over my carriers signal (not downloading on a computer and transferring), e-mail, photos (kind of important to get good quality close up shots), and bluetooth capabilities (interface with my hands free car speaker, data transfer to my computer). Not a lot more (no sms or texting or game playing). I have a netbook that I want to be able to hook up to the phone if I cannot get a wifi spot.

Maybe you all could help me decide which phones to look at given what I want to use it for and my carrier and location.

I'm cool with just links to sites that compare stuff or maybe point me to another forum too. I'm pretty confused with all the 3G, 4G, LTE, etc terminology so any help there too would be great.

I'll pay top dollar, but am more interested in long term value (don't want to get something that will be outdated tomorrow but ok if it is in 1 year)

Thanks

Steve

PS. I saw that this forum isn't for support, but I was not sure if this was a support quesiton.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Steve, welcome to the AndroidForums!

Yeah, there are so many options out there, it can be hard to choose. But at least you've got several tools available to you to help you decided (this forum, Google, VZW's web site, etc.).

As you may know, Phandroid.com is AndroidForums.com's parent site and they've built a really cool web page for researching various phones:

Android Phones

You can use this and VZW's web site to help you narrow down your choices, as well as actually visiting a VZW store if you can and try-out the various phones since the hands-on experience will really help you decide.

If your netbook supports blue-tooth, many phones will allow you to tether via blue tooth right out of the box, no extra charges. There's also mobile hotspot for a monthly fee for tethering (not sure how much, though).

I can't break-down the 3G, 4G/LTE terms in any real technical depth, but 3G is how your phone transfer your data as the higher speeds (vs. the really slow 1x speed when a 3G signal is not available).

LTE (Long Term Evolution) is what VZW calls their 4G (fourth generation) data transfer speeds which is dramatically faster than the 3G speeds (about 10 times, apparently).

Hope that helps.

Cheers and again, welcome to the AndroidForums!