• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello everyone

Hello everyone,

I started paying closer attention to the mobile phone market, and recently switched over from an iPhone 4 to my Samsung Galaxy S III. Several reasons why I made this choice. So let me begin by saying hello, and explaining my decision.

I'm an IT Consultant now, going on 20 some years, and for the most part, those of us who did such work, would carry things like a Palm Pilot, or Pocket PC, to get our daily work done. After a while, I bought my first Blackberry (Curve model 3920 I think...the crimson red model) and loved it. Synced with outlook, kept notes, hell, even browsed the web and retrieved email, along with texting. Then I upgraded to the Bold 9700 model, went from there to an iPhone 4 (belated birthday present from my father).

I loved the way the iPhone (at that time) just worked, kept all my information the way I needed it, but after the updates to their operating system, iTunes, and then their "iCloud", they proved to me that their main goal was to get people to purchase more MAC's than use their current PC's, of which I am not for. I'm sorry, but if you can't make your devices 100% cross platform, then you serve no purpose in the business world for me.

It was then that I decided to make the switch to my Android Tablet, Pantech Element. Since I loved how it worked so much, it only made logical sense to get a phone that matched up with it, and the Galaxy S III soon followed. (That and the demonstration the store rep did with slamming it on the counter and the screen still being 100% in tact. Can't do that with an iPhone... :D)

So, Having Honeycomb on the tablet, and ICS on the phone, I waited until the tablet got it's update to ICS, which I loved, and then finally updated my S III to JB (4.1.1).

I have a few complaints about the JB Update, and that is the charging LED dims from time to time, along with the fact that most of the selectable alarm tones are no longer available in the JB update (and yes, I've done everything from flash back to factory ICS, to flash factory JB 4.1.1 update using Odin3).

Other than that, I'm hoping that these small issues do get resolved, but in short I love my Android phone and tablet, and would refuse to return to being trapped in Apple's world.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones