1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello, experienced Android user, but new in the US. How does it work?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by m_att, Jan 11, 2013.

1. m_att

m_att Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi,

I've been a big fan & supporter of Android for the past 2 years, and I'm still quite happy with my Samsung Galaxy S phone.

However, I have just moved to the US from Belgium in Europe, and I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out the cell phone world here.

In Belgium, I used to have a pre-paid plan (so no contract), costing me $20 a month for 2GB of data, unlimited text and 60 minutes. I'm looking for something similar here.

Mind you, the plan was completely independent of the phone. In Belgium carriers don't offer phones. You buy the phone you want, and then you buy the plan that you want. You can use any phone with any carrier and change anytime.

I understand it works differently here. However, since I don't have a credit history in the US yet, I don't think I'm eligible for a 2-year plan or contract, which only leaves pre-paid options, right?

I read good things about T-Mobile, and people recommending their $30 a month plan, for 5GB of data, unlimited text and 100 minutes. But I can't seem to find this on the T-mobile site?

Would this require me to buy a T-Mobile phone to begin with? And what if I want to switch over to another carrier? Would that render my phone useless?

I'm sorry about all these questions, but browsing the carrier's websites just made it more confusing :rolleyes:

So how do I go about this? Select a carrier first? Then choose a device from the ones they offer and then pick a plan?

What would you recommend in my case? Mainly data & text and no credit history.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Advertisement

2. Mark with a K

Mark with a K Newbie
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    welcome to android forums.
    there are two prepaid carriers i've been with boost mobile and virgin mobile.
    boost mobile offers unlimited calling, data, and texting for 55.00$ a month.
    virgin mobile offers various packages, the lowest being 35.00$ a month which includes 300 calling minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texting.
    t-mobile offers a package to new customers 100 calling minutes, unlimited data with 5gb of 4g speeds, and unlimited texting. this package isnt listed. after you buy a activation kit and go to their site this package is an option while you register your new sim card as far as i know i haven't been on t-mobile since my galaxy sII broke.

3. viv1610

viv1610 Newbie
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Female
    Hi and welcome to the US and the not so wonderful world of cell phones and plans. lol

I suggest a search for prepaid plans and narrow it down to the area you live in as some may work better where you are at than others. Ask all your friends/coworkers how their reception/dropped calls are.

I don't have any experience with prepaid but Straight Talk is another that offers unlimited data text and talk for around $50-55 a month. A coworker of mine has that and seems pretty happy with it.

Good luck!