1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hello. How to customize dictionary?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MichelleCooper, Oct 9, 2014.

1. MichelleCooper

I am new and still trying to figure out this site. Not sure how to customize my dictionary on my S4.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Hi welcome to the forum! For questions specific to your phone, try your phone's sub forum. If you have the Galaxy S4, it is here:

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android Forums

MichelleCooper likes this.
  3. MichelleCooper

Thank you so much.

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi Michelle, welcome to the site!

I moved your thread to the Galaxy S4 forum for more focused help :)

5. MichelleCooper

Thanks. I'm learning lots. How do you make those HAPPY FACES? :)

6. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Type : and ) without a space. Or you can click "Go Advanced" under the reply box and you'll get options to choose many different faces. :thumb:

7. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Which keyboard do you use? Some keyboards will allow you to customize your dictionary (and some won't).

8. MichelleCooper

I'm not sure what keyboard I have. I am checking it out now.

9. MichelleCooper

;)
    I am using a Qwerty keyboard. English, US. But can't find a virgin #.

10. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

With some stock keyboards, if you long press the word in the suggestion box it will give you options such as "don't suggest, or save"

I would suggest SwiftKey as a great 3rd party keyboard. The text prediction is amazing.
    Try it for a couple days and you will never look back :cool:

11. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Go to settings/language & input. That will list the keyboard you have. To the right of that, click the settings icon and look for something like personal dictionary or similar.

12. MichelleCooper

I went to that location and only shows me a Samsung Keyboard.

Attached Files:

13. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Click on the little gear on the right side next to Samsung keyboard. You can access all your stock keyboard options their.

14. MichelleCooper

I did. No dictionary. This is what I get.

Attached Files:

15. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Looks like you have Swype keyboard installed as well. Which one are you using? (When typing, in the notification bar, look for a keyboard icon... Pull the notification bar down and see which keyboard is in use)

16. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Samsungs keyboard sucks in my opinion, so do yourself a favor and head over to the play store and download SwiftKey. It will be the last keyboard you will ever need.
    PROMISE.

17. BethRogers

BethRogers Lurker

I just got a new S4 phone as well, and was trying to figure out the same issue you're having. From your screenshots above, it looks like we have the exact same settings (and apparently no way to make the settings that other people are referring to). I haven't tried the SwiftKey app yet, but I think I've figured out how to use the Samsung keyboard to do what I need. It might seem like a lot of steps, but if you do it enough times it gets faster.

Here's how I add/delete things to my dictionary.
    (Btw, in the Samsung keyboard settings, I've got "predictive text" and "auto replace" turned ON):

To Add a Word (you can delete later using steps further below):
    1. Type a word that you know is misspelled. For example, type "Sansung" instead of "Samsung".
    2. When you get to the end of the word, DON'T type the space bar.
    3. Instead, click somewhere in the middle of the word. For example between the s and u, as long as it's in the middle of the word.
    3. Then click just after the last letter of the word (just after the g). In the word suggestions, you should now see "Sansung" as an option. Select that suggested word, and the new word should now be in your dictionary. (Test it by trying to type the word again, and it won't auto-correct it if it's been saved to the dictionary).

To Delete (Remove) a Word from the dictionary:
    1. Type the word Sansung again (the misspelled word). If it offers Sansung as a suggestion, go to step 3.
    2. If it doesn't offer it as a suggestion, click the space bar, and it won't auto-correct. Then click somewhere in the middle of the word, and it should then offer "Sansung" in the suggestions.
    3. When you see the word in the suggestions bar, press and hold over word you want to delete (within the suggestions bar, Not within the main text).
    4. You should then get a popup window that asks if you want to Remove the word from your "learned words".
    5. Click OK to remove the word.

Btw, the Swype keyboard settings have a section called "my words" with an option to "edit my dictionary". But none of my custom words are being saved in the Swype dictionary, so they must be going to the Samsung keyboard dictionary (which I can't find a way to access).

18. MichelleCooper

Thank you. I was going to smash my cell, lol. Your my hero ;)

19. MichelleCooper

I will check it out. Thank you.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews