• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hello! I need all the help I can get!

rdbeaty

Sep 17, 2010
Alabama
I have had my Droid 2 for two weeks, and I'm still so far from knowing much more than the very basics. I am not in the generation that is born knowing technology, but I'm trying!

My main reason for buying the Droid 2 was the fact that it could be a hotspot. We have a lake house that has no internet access. I want to use it there.

I can't figure out how to connect my computer to its signal.:thinking:

The Droid 2 should be able to do this - Correct?

So, that means that I will have to pay $50 per month for internet at the lake instead of $30?

I'm disappointed. I didn't get a Droid (1) because I was led to believe that I wouldn't have to download any 3rd party software and I could automatically get the hotspot!

XXO@#$#Xnt!!!!

All you have to do is root. Once you are rooted, you will be able to have a hot spot anytime you want it.

Read up on rooting here:
Droid 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

Reactions: rdbeaty
Upvote 0
Note that you don't need to root if you only want to share Internet with one computer and don't mind having it plugged into your phone with a USB cable. You just need an app called pdanet and to download a program to your computer.
If you are connected to your phone and a call comes in will you get knocked off the computer?

Also, what is the address to get the pdanet?

Upvote 0
I believe that will happen either way. No Verizon phone is capable of transmitting data while on a call. So I think if you get a call, it will stop Internet on your computer whether you're using a USB cable or wireless.

To install the software on your computer, go here: Download PdaNet

You can get the app for your phone by searching for "pdanet" in the app market.

Upvote 0
I believe that will happen either way. No Verizon phone is capable of transmitting data while on a call. So I think if you get a call, it will stop Internet on your computer whether you're using a USB cable or wireless.

To install the software on your computer, go here: Download PdaNet

You can get the app for your phone by searching for "pdanet" in the app market.

Correct, CDMA technologies only allows for the use of VOICE or DATA, at one time. The way VZW sets up the interface is that VOICE calls take precedence over of DATA connections. That's why when you're browsing the internet or streaming videos, it'll pause as the call comes in.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you for the help you gave me last week. I now have another question.

I am having trouble retrieving text messages that I have received and closed. I received on whild in a meeting today, closed it, and now can't find it. When I open my test messages, All I find are the conversations that I have sent or replied to.

I have looked through all my instructions and can't find instructions. :eek:

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you for the help you gave me last week. I now have another question.

I am having trouble retrieving text messages that I have received and closed. I received on whild in a meeting today, closed it, and now can't find it. When I open my test messages, All I find are the conversations that I have sent or replied to.

I have looked through all my instructions and can't find instructions. :eek:

I can't say I've heard a problem with disappearing SMSs, but try rebooting. It could just be a random bug with displaying up to date content by the Messaing.APK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones