• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello, I'm new here

Mistro

Lurker
May 26, 2011
Hello community. First off I'd like to say this is a great site. Been lurking here yesterday and find these forums very informative.
My wife and I purchased the Ascend 2 days ago at Metro and got a family plan. This is our first android phones. I find it painful at the moment to use the internet browser on the phone as it takes way too long for a page to load. Could be my location but I'm not sure why. I want to get into customizing my phone doing the root thing and getting the 2.3 update but I would like to read more first. Is there a simple way to speed up my web browsing on the phone as it is now so I can read these forums while I'm out and about? Otherwise I can only read these forums on my PC when I get home. Thanks in advance.

Hello community. First off I'd like to say this is a great site. Been lurking here yesterday and find these forums very informative.
My wife and I purchased the Ascend 2 days ago at Metro and got a family plan. This is our first android phones. I find it painful at the moment to use the internet browser on the phone as it takes way too long for a page to load. Could be my location but I'm not sure why. I want to get into customizing my phone doing the root thing and getting the 2.3 update but I would like to read more first. Is there a simple way to speed up my web browsing on the phone as it is now so I can read these forums while I'm out and about? Otherwise I can only read these forums on my PC when I get home. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the android world!!!:D you can look here: http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/286905-huawei-ascend-all-things-root-guide.html and learn about rooting and so on...Also if you want this on the go, download Phandroid from the market, but wifi will be a good source for speed on web browsing cause metro 1x sucks!!! And if you have any questions please feel free to post them...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info nuttmeg! I now have the Phandroid on my phone.

Ok so I been doing some more reading and I find out that this phone falls short of some hardware requirements to run flash and some games perhaps (no gpu and slower processor). My anticipation of owning an android phone was to be able to watch videos and multimedia and things that I would not be able to do on regular mobile phone. So what benefits do I actually have taking the $50 plan with metro. What is it that I have right now that makes the difference between paying $35 and $50. They didn't tell us about this shortcoming when we bought the phone. This is not a rant but just trying to get an understanding of what I actually have. I should also mention this is our first phone that we are actually on the web with. We had mobile phones since 2001 and never had internet on them. Talk about being green :D

Upvote 0
Ok so I been doing some more reading and I find out that this phone falls short of some hardware requirements to run flash and some games perhaps (no gpu and slower processor). My anticipation of owning an android phone was to be able to watch videos and multimedia and things that I would not be able to do on regular mobile phone. So what benefits do I actually have taking the $50 plan with metro. What is it that I have right now that makes the difference between paying $35 and $50. They didn't tell us about this shortcoming when we bought the phone. This is not a rant but just trying to get an understanding of what I actually have.
Yes there are some hardware shortcomings on this phone, but it's a $100 Android and easily worth the money. We aren't able to run Flash because Adobe didn't program it for our processor. You can watch YouTube videos but it takes a while to download because Metro is using 1xRtt for 3g instead of 1xEvDo which is faster, if you are in a WiFi area outs much better.
As for the$35 to $50 plan... we get the added services that comes with the plan. Basically I think they are just charging us more for data since we will probably use more of it.
This is a great starter phone for learning about Android because it's really easy to root and really hard to brick (ruin). Enjoy your phones and welcome to the forums.

Upvote 0

Try out the app "MASQED CRUSADER".This app helps speed up web connectivity & downloads.It has a free trial period,so,ya got nothing to lose by trying it out.

Reactions: nuttmeg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones