1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Hello, new GTab owner here!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by imnotmikal, Jun 10, 2011.

1. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    Hey guys, I've been on the forums for a while, mostly in the LG Ally and the Motorola Droid 3 forum.

Anyway, I don't own a GTab yet, but I will be getting it within the next week or two. Ordering it from Tiger Direct tomorrow, as a graduation present to myself.

Anyway, I plan to root and install VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition.

I haven't been able to find anything able it, so will Honeycomb ever be ported to the GTab? I almost chose the NOOKcolor over the GTab simply because they have Honeycomb on it already..

edit-
    Oops, didn't meant to put this in the All Things Root section. Can a mod move it? Please and thanks.

Advertisement

2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    Welcome! It seems as if the g-tabs coming from TigerDirect are now being shipped with software version 4349 and the 1.2 bootloader. If this is correct, you will need to switch back to version 3588 and the 1.1 bootloader before you can load VEGAn-Tab. The good news for you is that while Honeycomb builds are still slightly buggy, they are available and can only be installed with the 1.2 bootloader.

More info on 1.1 vs. 1.2 can be found here:
    [STICKY] Bootloader information - 1.1 and 1.2 dev branches and what you need to know - xda-developers

Honeycomb ROMs are here, if you want to try one out:
    [ROM - 1.2] Illuminate (Honeycomb) - SlateDroid.com

[ROM - 1.2] BottleOfSmoke (Honeycomb) - SlateDroid.com