1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hello! Question about recovering information from broken S6

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Mr1031, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Mr1031

Mr1031 Lurker

Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to pull information (photos, etc) off a phone (Galaxy S6) with a totally broken display.

I can't access the phone from Android File Transfer because it has a fingerprint lock set on the phone. I think I've failed getting in too many times so it's probably locked at this point.

Is there any way to bypass the fingerprint lock screen and gain access to the files somehow? There are important pictures on the phone that I want.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Get a new screen. Getting a new screen installed won't touch the memory. You just have to tell the store that you don't want a factory reset. Or do it yourself.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Unless the phone was rooted with USB Debugging enabled, then ^^^that's the best advice to get your pictures back.

4. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

You can unlock it using your Samsung Account

5. batboy

batboy Android Enthusiast

but the screen is not cheap, and maybe he does not want to repair it.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Then the question becomes *how important* are the photos? Because that's really the only reasonable option.

svim, mikedt and Slug like this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

How much are your "important pictures" worth to you...priceless?

8. svim

svim Extreme Android User

That's assuming the OP was asking for a free or low cost solution. But there doesn't appear to be any so chanchan05's suggestion holds a lot of weight. Getting data off a smartphone isn't the same as retrieving files from a something like computer. You can't just remove a hard drive and mount it on another computer, with smartphones the internal storage memory is a chip soldered to a motherboard. The S6 NAND Flash chip is indicated here in orange in step 10:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Teardown/39174
    And just doing a quick search, the cost could vary. Amazon is selling a replacement screen/digitizer for $142
    http://www.amazon.com/Completed-Screen-Display-Digitizer-Samsung/dp/B00WABX89W
    although if you search around on ebay or craigslist somebody might be selling a faulty S6 for parts.

In this instance it's hollow advice at this point but setting up in advance some kind of automatic online backup solution for things like photos and videos can be really beneficial. There are too many postings here by those who have lost valuable family pics when something happens to their phones.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Not cheap if you buy it brand new, but a working screen from Ebay taken off a water damaged S6 can be had for less. It's the only option at this point, unless he's rooted. Or managed to install Samsung SideSync.

That's an idea. If he has SideSync enabled, he just needs to install SideSync to a PC and the screen would appear even if the phone is locked and unlock it on a PC.

10. batboy

batboy Android Enthusiast

perhaps in the repair center can maybe emporarily put the screen just for transfering photos.