1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hello there!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jimbojones69, May 21, 2011.

1. jimbojones69

jimbojones69 Newbie

I just purchased the Atrix 4G in Washington State and my provider being AT&T pre-installed a bunch of applications and had everything ready to go when I purchased it. But now I'm back in Canada and AT&T isn't here so I'd like to start with a clean slate. I basically just want the phone as a portable computer with wifi access so I can use skype, play some games, browser, application store.

How do I format the HDD and install Android? The installation is going to be different than before because there aren't going to be AT&T applications, correct?

Thanks for the helping hand,
    jimbojones

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast

First, try this:

1. From the main home screen, tap menu
    2. Tap Settings, then Privacy
    3. Tap Factory data reset
    4. Tap Reset phone
    5. Enter your password if required, then tap Erase everything to confirm
    If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your Motorola ATRIX 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Press and hold the Power and Camera buttons
    3. Release the Camera button when prompted
    4. Press and hold the Volume Down key
    5. A yellow exclamation will appear on the display
    6. Select Factory Reset and press OK
    All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Motorola ATRIX 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

taken from here
    How to hard reset the Motorola ATRIX 4G - Know Your Cell

gl

3. fcummins

fcummins Lurker

I don't think a hard reset (which is what you've detailed) will give him what he wants - a clean install of Android with NO 3rd party (i.e. AT&T) apps/config/etc. on it.

OP, you're most likely best option (until the bootloader lock is broken) will be to install a custom ROM. Unfortunately the only thing I know about custom ROMs is how to spell "custom ROM" so someone else will have to advise you on the proper path.

4. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast

Did you read the last line of what I copied?

"All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Motorola ATRIX 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state."

5. jimbojones69

jimbojones69 Newbie

Thanks for trying but it didn't get rid of the third-party applications, log1c. It still has all the AT&T applications, previous games and pictures I had.

What I'm looking for is a complete clean install like in Windows when you format your HDD, install the OS and then choose what apps you'd like exactly. But the installation of the OS is the bare minimum requirements to run it, so the phone is running efficiently.

6. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast

Interesting....lemme get this straight, you want are not going to use this phone with your service provider at all?

7. jimbojones69

jimbojones69 Newbie

Nope. You can pretty much get Wi-fi anywhere where I am, then just use Skype.

8. weasel

weasel Android Enthusiast

What the OP is looking for is a "vanilla" installation. Currently this doesn't exist for the Atrix. The next best thing to do is get titanium backup. In the paid version, you can freeze the apps that you don't want. There are also other SBF's and themes that can clean up and improve things a bit. Everything you need you can find @ XDA forums.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews