• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Hello world app not saying hello

discodowney

Lurker
Dec 19, 2010
So im just starting with Android development. Ive set up my environment and im following the Hello world program here: Hello, World | Android Developers.

But im not getting what it says i should. It says i should get a black screen printing "Hello, Android" with a grey bit on top with the name of the program. But im getting the emulator. So basically what looks like the home page of a phone using Android 2.1, a google search bar, a few app shortcuts, etc. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong. As far as i can tell ive followed the instructions to the letter. Ive looked around the different pages as well and there's nothing on any of them

Cheers

Probably the "hello" string.

Go to res > Values > string
And you should see a "hello" string. Click on it and change the value to what ever you want it to say. "Hello, World" etc.

You can also do it without strings.
Go to res > layout > main.xml
if you see xml codes, click on the "Graphical Layout" tab.
All you have to do now is, find the "TextView" component and drag it to your layout.
Now you'll be able to edit the text to what ever you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones