1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sumrainmustfal, May 21, 2011.

1. sumrainmustfal

None

May 16, 2011
    Self Employed = Starving Artist
    Hartford, CT
    Hello All;-),

I was just forced to upgrade from a VM LG Rumor Touch to a VM LG Optimus V due to the fact that my Rumor Touch was stolen. Now I should be happy to have upgraded and I am very much so. However, I just had finally got my Rumor touch all tweaked the way I liked it. I was able to get every game, ringer, etc(u get my drift) all on the cell and I was very happy with it and proud of myself for learning how to do this all on my own from some excellent websites. I had planned on upgrading sometime in the fall but lo and behold some moron steals it from me.

So this is my first Android and I am a bit lost, lol. I am above average computer literate. However, being that this is my first android I would definitely love and welcome any and all advice on how to get the most out of this amazing device.

From what I have read so far on this forum the first step seems to be that I should "root it". I guess I could keep reading and learn how to do all these things to my new cell but my fear is I am going to screw something up and kill it, lol. So, if anyone would like to take the time to help me learn how to do all the great lil extra tweaks to this cell as I said before, I would love and welcome it, and most importantly very much appreciate it.

Even if someone gave me a list of links say in the proper order of what I should do say 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

:)Thanks A Bunch,

Maria Sumrainmustfall........

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

Rooting your phone is really dependent on what you are wanting to do with it. If your interest is in loading ringtones, apps, and backgrounds then rooting may not be absolutely necessary. On the other hand, if you are wanting to theme your phone, remove any bloatware apps placed on the phone by wireless carriers, or change the OS loaded on the phone then rooting becomes rather useful.

It's good that you recognize that there is potential risk to rooting your phone. While it's somewhat unlikely, there is a risk of "bricking" the device so be sure to read instructions and tutorials very carefully and ask lots of questions to others who use your model phone. Knowledge is a very good thing here!

For more info on rooting your LG Optimus V check out...

Optimus V - All Things Root - Android Forums

3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky