1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Time1, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Time1

Time1 Lurker
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    New to this forum and to the android world. I came from having an iphone 3gs and wasnt impressed with the new iphone when it came out. I went ahead and bought myself a galaxy s2 from at&t. I LOVE IT so far.

Im searching around everywhere but cant seem to find an answer about ringtones. How can I make custom ringtones and add them to my phone? I downloaded Kies from samsung, does everyone use that program to add media to their phones?

Thanks everyone

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

Many people have mixed feelings about Kies. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary.

To add media to your phones you simply copy the files to the phone in a format the phone can read. MP3 and OGG are native to Android although it will read others.

Plug your phone into your USB port and pull down the notification bar that says USB connected and select storage mode. You phone will mount as a removable flash drive. Then copy media as you like.

For ringtones, put them in media/audio/ringtones (create it if it doesn't exist) for notification sounds, put them in media/audio/notifications. Actually the file structure isn't that rigid. As long as the folder 'ringtones' and 'notifications' exist somewhere on the sd card, the phone will find them.

To assign custom ringtones, go to your contacts. select the contact and choose edit. Then press menu>options and you can assign the ringtone to your contact.