• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello

IAmHe

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
Hi,

I joined this forum a few months ago, and am finally getting around to saying hello.

I started learning about Android two years ago, when I bought my OG HTC Evo 4G (still using it -- no plans to upgrade anytime soon!).

It took me a year to root it ... still kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I've tried a bunch of ROMs, and eventually settled on MazWoz's truly amazing JB Beta ROM (based on Evervolv) as my daily driver.

I'm a developer by profession ... mostly C++ and MS Windows technologies, but I switched to Java about 1.5 years ago. I downloaded the Android SDK last year, and would like to eventually try writing some apps. So far, I've learned just enough to appreciate exactly how much I have to learn!

I figured that maybe the app Tasker would be a good place to start learning Android better, so while on vacation last month, I purchased it. The only remotely-interesting task I've created so far is a "domain blocker" that I use to selectively block ads in the browser. (When I speak the phrase "block domain" to my virtual assistant app (I'm using "utter!"), the VA invokes the task, which in turn displays a dialog to collect the domain name. Once the domain is entered, the task writes it to the phone's hosts file.) Once I have it a bit more polished, I will share it. I'm not exactly sure where to do that, so I'd love some suggestions.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending more time on this forum to learn from everyone, and make whatever meager contributions I can!

Thanks,

-IAmHe

Welcome back to the forums :D

Glad you could finally have the time to make an intro!

Feel free to stop by your device forum if you have any questions or simply want to help other members out: HTC EVO 4G - Android Forums

Otherwise I am pretty sure you might be interested in our Tasker forum.

Hope these links help and you continue to enjoy your time here. :D If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: IAmHe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones