1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help a long time BB user adapt...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WolfmanRobby, Mar 21, 2011.

1. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, so, yes, I've spent the last 4 years as a BlackBerry user. I still love the platform, I think the physical keyboards rock, but they are just behind the times. Maybe with the new devices coming out with Dual core CPU's and the QNX based OS (Eventually), I might look at going back.
    But, for now, I'm loving my Atrix. Just having trouble adapting. I've been reading the forum here for a week or so, and doing a LOT of searching. Here's a list of things I still have not found answers to.

Keep in mind, I'm not new to Android. I've had a couple of Tablets. I even rooted my Archos (1.6) tablet. So, I'm not against rooting, and I know just about anything is possible once you root. But, I want answers/solutions that don't involve rooting the device, if possible. Here's why. This is not just for me, but my fiance, and both her kids got this same phone. And, they live 500 miles away. So, I don't want to have to root their phones. And, I want my phone to be like theirs, to make it easier to support them.

OK, all that being said, here's the things we are trying to figure out.

1) FACEBOOK - OK, we're used to push alerts when someone comments, likes, sends us a messages... just about anything. I see that, since version 1.4 of the Facebook for Android, you are supposed to get Push Notifications. We don't. I've even uninstalled, rebooted my phone, and downloaded the latest version from the market. No notifications unless we go into the app, hit the back button, and then tap "Notifications" at the bottom. Then we can see what we've got. But, there are no alerts. I've excluded Facebook from the task killer. And even tried leaving the widget open.

2) I see how easy it is to add custom ringtones and assign them to a contact. However, I've gotten spoiled as my BB (And MANY other phones on the market) allowed me to do that same thing with the SMS/MMS alerts per contact. So, while I've set one custom sound file as my main SMS/MMS alert, I could set one special sound for when I got a SMS/MMS/Email from my Fiance, or from my Best friend, or from my Boss. This way, I could tell who the message was from without even needing to look at my phone. Is there a 3rd party app that adds this functionality WITHOUT needing ROOT access? I don't mind paying a little for a needed feature. But, I've searched through the market and, well, It's cluttered with CRAP not related with my search terms. Like, Why would I see GAMES in the search results for "Custom SMS alerts"??

3) Set Gmail app as my default email, not Yahoo. OK, I know part of this has got to do with MotoBlur. I have my GMAIL set up in the GMAIL app, and I want to KEEP it that way, and not as a plain IMAP/Pop account. For some reason, the phone has decided that YAHOO is my default email. How do I get it so that GMAIL is the default?

I think that, if we can get those 3 issues under control the "CrackBerry Withdrawal" symptoms will be much abated until we can fully detox!!!

Advertisement

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I've started using Flow to get Facebook notifications. Still not push, but it helps.

Someone recommended Handcent SMS for the SMS alerts. It's OK. Going to take some getting used to. Anyone got any tips for using it, or a better app than that?