• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help a noob?

pappabacon

Sep 11, 2011
Southern California
I rooted my Nexus phone and flashed the stock image. This was pretty easy but I never thought about doing it on the Nexus 7

I was having trouble with my Nexus 7 and I figured that since I was gonna hard reset it anyway, I might as well unlock and root it. I used the Nexus root kit to unlock and root the Nexus 7 and now I want to try out some Roms. I downloaded the Glazed Jelly Bean Rom from the root guide and flashed it through the root kit app to flash it and it says it flashed but it just keeps coming back to the regular Nexus interface.

What am I doing wrong?

I rooted my Nexus phone and flashed the stock image. This was pretty easy but I never thought about doing it on the Nexus 7

I was having trouble with my Nexus 7 and I figured that since I was gonna hard reset it anyway, I might as well unlock and root it. I used the Nexus root kit to unlock and root the Nexus 7 and now I want to try out some Roms. I downloaded the Glazed Jelly Bean Rom from the root guide and flashed it through the root kit app to flash it and it says it flashed but it just keeps coming back to the regular Nexus interface.

What am I doing wrong?

are you able to get into the bootloader? not sure which guide you used, but ive used this one in the past for the nexus 7 ---> http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-root-unlock-bootloader-clockworkmod-recovery-cwm-100890/.

Reactions: pappabacon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
did you flash a custom recovery? If you did, and have an unlocked bootlader you should be able to boot into recovery and flash a rom that way.

Ok, i think I figured out what I was doing wrong then. I was under the impression that I could just use the toolkit to flash, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am now trying to push the rom to the device and will then try and flash it on the device itself.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones