1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help/Advice on what I learned? idk confused still...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zBusterCB87, Dec 6, 2011.

1. zBusterCB87

zBusterCB87 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Earth
    Hi all,

I have been researching how to root, backup and such...

I have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, I bought it recently, US version I think.
    Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0

I found these guides to root it, will I be ok for rooting and un-rooting with one of these? I just want others opinions on here aside from what I have found because I cant seem to find much for this device...
    How to Root & Unroot Any Android Device: Simple Steps
    AND
    How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 or 5 - wikiHow

I also found zerg-rush rooting (z4root) or something, my device is in the list...
    I'm not sure which method/software is better, I'm just looking for root basically so I can install permissions mods on my applications, maybe do other things down the road, idk yet...
    I do want to install a mobile LINUX, or windows 8 OS onto my expandable 32 GB MicroSD card maybe in the future... or a dual boot with something for fun... But thats not important atm, I'm only looking into basics, and cant find much for my device... I keep getting the galaxy S stuff...

I found this ROM, because I'm looking for a backup factory rom, but can not seem to find an exact one... this says for SGP5 but then shows the galaxy S, I'm confused...
    Gingerbread 2.3.5 Rom Download For “samsung Galaxy Player 5″ | Rumah Android

I just don't want to break it is my big concern...
    And after I root, I found out there is already some kinds of malware that attack rooted phones or something...idk

Thanks for the help! :)

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings Buster,

I would suggest you put off rooting until you have a better grasp on what it entails. You seem to have a ton of confusion and questions.

One of the worst things you can do, is to jump in and start flashing files and deleting things, only to find out what you've got isn't what you need. The wrong Rom can turn your device into an expensive paperweight.

I wasn't able to find a sub forum here for your device. I will give a you link to the XDA forum. A strong warning, be prepared to read, search and read some more. People over there want you to have exhausted all of your search options, before you start posting questions.

If you walk in the door and start asking questions that have been answered time and time again, you might get your head bit off, LOL!! Really..

Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0, 5.0 - xda-developers

Good luck.

3. zBusterCB87

zBusterCB87 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Earth
    wow thanks, I did not see that sight until now...

Yah, I have been searching, most everything is Galaxy S not galaxy 5 in the search results, and there is so much back and forth information between the two and about the two that I'm confused as to what is what...

EDIT:
    I FOUNDED IT!!! :D
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1141893

It says for me to install the Samsung USB drivers for my device then to use the once click root thinggy! :D

Thanks so much for this form, I have been looking since I bought this device and finally posted because I could not find much on this thing that told me exactly what does what and where everything goes...lol :D

4. zBusterCB87

zBusterCB87 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Earth
    I just wanted to say, I successfully rooted my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 with Super one Click which used zerg-rush...

Then, being all paranoid because I want my device to be safe, I just unrooted it, and it restarted itself, WHAT??
    Un-Root never finished?! :(
    I really hope its not broken!

I am going to look into how I can be secure after I keep root, and I do not like how buzzy box cant be uninstalled, so I never installed it...

More reaserch is all I can say, any help and suggestions are welcome!

ADDED!!!
    I re-ran the unroot after my phone finally restarted... (Which took like 3x as long as normal)...
    Then I cleared ram, closed all apps, then did a normal restart...
    WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! :D
    (Super User (Root) is not there anymore)

PS: It seems to be using somewhat less ram... ... HOW...?? :S

ADDED 2:
    Before I continue rooting, I will look into backing up my device, I started this already, and found quite a bit, but can not find the ROM for my device... :/
    If anyone can help it is supossedly this:
    Firmware Version: 2.3.5
    Model Number: YP-G70
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-...
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8

I came across odin, but can't seem to understand it, to many buttons >_<