1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help and advice needed please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by lisavye, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lisavye

lisavye Lurker

Hi everyone - I could really do with some help please :thinking:

After 7 replacements from a certain mobile carrier (not sure if I can mention them....but it's a colour and a fruit) of my Desire S - which kept dropping its signal and had intermittent WiFi and mobile internet connection and generally just kept freezing especially when it seemed to know I really needed it - they have at last decided to give me a replacement of a totally different handset.

They have told me to give them choices of 3 phones that all have the same type of spec and release date of the Desire S (release date April 11)

Any ideas? I really need one with a good camera and that has reasonable battery life as far as possible for a smartphone.
    thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings lisavye,

First thing, welcome to the site.

Second..I don't think that anyone here has a mental note of what phones came out on any particular date, well maybe some do, LOL!!!

While the ultimate decision in choice of phones lies with you, providing a list of the available options would give the good people here an idea of how to give you a gentle push in the right direction.

3. lisavye

lisavye Lurker

Hi
    Thank you for your welcome - it's nice to find a site that's full of informative info and friendly people.

I'm looking for a touch screen phone - preferably not one of the mini type (eye sight not as good when you're the wrong side of 40! :p). I'd like internet access, Wifi/mobile connection, a good camera and video, and one that I can access my emails (gmail) on without having to go through the full internet browser to do so.
    My main concern is one that the good people here say has the most chance of not dropping it's WiFi/mobile connection and also has a decent processor speed.

thanks so much for any suggestions
    Lisa

4. T.M.M.L

Did your wireless provider give you a list of the devices that they were willing to allow you to swap your Desire S for?

Most of the devices released with the last year or so can meet the requirements that you want. I asked the above to help you choose from the available selection

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

hi.. and welcome to AF.

it is ok.. to tell us the carrier you are with.

you should go to their website.. look at the phones that have same specs.. or priced the same. back in april.. the Desire S was a top -line phone.

then you tell us.. which 3-4 phones you like. maybe then we can help narrow it down for you.

lisavye likes this.
  6. lisavye

lisavye Lurker

Hi
    I'm with Orange and they offered me another Desire S - which would be number 8 replacement!
    I have eventually got them to agree that changing for another Desire S would probably not be the best thing in the world - and I have suggested the following to them:
    Sony Ericsson Arc
    Sony Ericsson Neo
    or the original Samsung Galaxy S (i900)

Apparently they are going to get back to me on Tuesday 3rd to let me know if my choices are around the same spec/release date.

Thanks for all your comments - i will keep you posted

Happy New Year to you all
    Lisa x

7. T.M.M.L

The Arc and the Neo, are almost twins.

They have the same amount of on board storage space 320MB (the space to store apps, music etal..)

They share the same amount of memory 512MB (the amount of space to run apps.)

Both of these features are less powerful than your Desire S.

The Neo has a forward facing camera, the Arc doesn't.
    The Arc has a larger screen 4.2", the Neo 3.7".
    Screen size and the forward facing camera are their hardware differences.

The Galaxy S is a hardware giant compared to Arc, Neo and Desire.
    It has 16GB of internal storage, more than 16X the size of the other 3.
    It has a 4" screen. Also the screen is Samsungs Amoled, a very crisp and bright screen.
    It has just a little less system ram than the Desire.. 512 to the Desires 768.
    It has a forward facing camera as well.

I had the Verizon little brother version of the Galaxy S. It was a nice phone, unless you wanted the GPS to work, that was hit or miss. I'm a tinkerer, so I changed roms and kernels, and this made the phone killer.

I'm not sure about the status of the other phones, but I figure that the Galaxy S is near E.O.L (End of life), especially with the S II available.

All the phones have about the same speed of processor.

I only used the variant of the Galaxy S, so my opinion is biased towards it.

Here is the link to the forums of the devices you chose. It might help to peruse through them for a little incite.

Samsung Galaxy S - Android Forums
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo - Android Forums
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc - Android Forums

Hope this helps.

EarlyMon and dan330 like this.
  8. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

TMML did a great job.. and the choices they gave you are below the current phone. Them them to do better!

The GS is a good phone.. but there have been a lot of talk about its radio and GPS..issues.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

GPS issues on the Galaxy S has been fixed with the 2.3.6 update.

T.M.M.L and EarlyMon like this.