1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Help!!! Android OS eating my battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robertj298, Jan 24, 2014.

1. robertj298

robertj298 Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    My battery isn't lasting near as long as it has been in the past. This seemed to start after doing a soft reset. The culprit seems to be Android OS which is at the top of the list of battery usage at 27%. I can't ever remember it being anywhere near the top of the list or that high.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It's not using 77% of your battery, 27% of what's being used from your battery (which could be 1% of the power in it) is being used by the system. If you add up all th percentages of power being used (you can't - they're not all displayed on that screen), it would always add up to 100%. At all times, all of the power that's being drawn from the battery is being drawn from the battery.

The percentages tell you which is drawing what part of that 100%, not how much it's using.

Pay more attention to the total percentage being used, and over how long a time. If the percentages have changed, but the total amount being used over a given time is about the same, nothing's changed. (Keep the screen off longer, and the system will show more usage, because the screen is using a lower percentage.)

3. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Try an APP like Wakelock detector. You'll be able to see what % of each Android OS component is using your battery. I had a similar situation recently and it was being caused by a lousy wifi connection at home (another network close by on the same channel.) Basically my phone was never going to sleep because of it. I changed channels and problem solved. There are several things that can cause high Android OS usuage though.

To add to what Rukbat said, if you are keeping the screen off a lot then yes Android OS will use the most battery as that's all that's running. However if you are using the phone moderately and Android OS is still at the top I'd look into it more. The screen is always #1 for me except when I was having the problem described above.

Gsam is another good app that breaks down what apps on your phone are using the battery. I keep them both on my phone at all times since neither use much battery.

4. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    Also, when your phone looks for a signal, that eats your battery very very fast. I'm on MetroPCS, and sometimes I'm in a area where I have no signal at all and whenever I go to that area, I put my phone on airplane mode as that stops the phone from constantly checking for a signal and saves a ton of battery. I'm not saying this is your issue, but I'm just throwing that out there because it does play a pretty big roll.

Also, as others mentioned, having WIFI on all the time will drain the battery faster, having BT or GPS on will also drain the battery faster. So if you're not using WIFI, turn it off, and if your phone has a signal, then just leave it be, and if not, put it on airplane mode for the time being. My battery on all my android phones always lasted the whole day with normal use. Your battery possibly could also me dying. A new battery may be a good investment if it has been that long.