1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help Avoiding ZV4 Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Godfree, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Hey Guys,
    I've been browsing the threads about rooting and the steps on what to do if you take the OTA update. I will be receiving my Volt in the mail sometime between tomorrow and Monday. I read one post that said that their phone automatically downloaded and installed the OTA update upon activating. Does anyone have any advice on a way to avoid this?

It seems so much easier to just not install that update and run Towelroot on V3 and call it a day. I'm not a heavy root user, I'm mostly looking to run the tether apps. So not too too concerned about breaking things to where i'd need CWM.. for now! Maybe if/when it gets fully functional.

Thanks!
    -G

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DravenXcore

DravenXcore Well-Known Member

You weren't able to do this in ICS (4.0.x) and below, but when Jellybean (4.1+) came out, when you get a notification, you can click and hold, and go to "app info".

In your case, here's what you do:

Let it download the update. It's gonna do it anyway, however. Don't install. You'll get pestered with the notification all day, everyday.
    Click and hold the notification, click app info and then uncheck notifications. No accidental notification clicks, and it'll just sit there.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, or what you needed to know, but atleast there's some information for you, or other people.

3. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Draven,
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. From what someone else posted they made it seem like it installed automatically. I guess I'll see what happens. But if it just downloads this will be perfect.
    Thanks!

4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Yeah, your phone is probably going to have z4 already on it, sorry bro, you're gonna have to do it the hard way.

5. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Man, gotta come in and rain on my parade huh? Lol. I was thinking that too but trying to be hopeful that I don't have to go through the whole DL mode downgrade, recovery, flash, then root deal. But with my luck.. I will.

6. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Sorry, it's just that the update has been out long enough now that that is going to be the stock system.

7. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Yeah that's understandable.. and unfortunately for me probably completely right. The steps needed to root on ZV4 don't look that complicated, was just hoping i'd be lucky enough to get 1 click root given how little I use root for.

If it comes at V4 i'll probably hold off to make sure the phone works correctly before going through all the steps so I know it wasn't something caused by the process. I've received phones before that started doing weird things a day or two in to owning them. VM has always been good about replacing though.
    Thanks!

8. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Sounds like a good plan. The process is fairly straight forward, just annoying that you have to go through all that. :p

9. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Agreed. I actually condensed all the steps in to a step by step process after looking over danhalen's 'The "so you upgraded to z4 and lost root" guide.'. If I have to go through it and everything is accurate I will post it. Puts everything in one spot instead of jumping thread to thread. :) I'll keep everyone posted on what my new Volt ships as too.

donjuro and bg4m3r like this.
  10. Godfree

Godfree Newbie

Looks like I worried over nothing, it actually came with v3. I have the lovely tap to install message which I will be hiding! If I hold on the notification and hide notifications in app info will it block all notifications or just the one for the update? It's from Google services framework. Don't want to miss anything important. I know there's ways to do it with apps as well.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews