1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help!!! Backup disaster!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 6StringDave, Aug 25, 2011.

1. 6StringDave

6StringDave Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    I went to much painstaking care to set up my screens so perfectly with just the right apps and widgets, plus custom menus and over 100 lines of tweaks with Tasker. It all took me more time than I can really stand to think about, and then my PAID backup app, MyBackup Pro, really stunk up the bed on me. I always liked this app because it has quite a nice UI, with options, and it never indicated any trouble the last time I ran a backup, but when it came time to run a restore after the factory reset, my "restored" programs all force-closed. I lost all my data for downloaded apps as well, therefore none of the tweaks which I can't live without (and I did select the "Apps+Data" option with the last backup).

For what it's worth, I am rooted, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem with MyBackup Pro, which aren't an issue with other backups software. I've seen references to Titanium, but can anyone vouch for it's (or other programs') results?

Also, are there some basic Android-world rules which need to be observed for safe backups? I feel somewhat bewildered by this happening, as I'm had enough successful Backup/Restore sessions to think I had done it right, but maybe there are factors which should not exist during a backup session. For example, should some radios not be active, or certain processes not be running? One thing I know for sure is that my battery did not run out of juice!

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Do you have a nandroid to restore to?

Titanium backup is probably the best app in the market for root users, it is flawless. Has more features and fixes than any other backup app.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Titanium is the quintessential backup app for root users. I don't know jack about mybackup but all I can say is TB has never let me down.

4. Hand76

Hand76 Guest
    None
    Yea if you are rooted (and I am guessing you are) TB is the only way to go.

That's why I wouldn't rush into getting a new phone till that devise can be rooted so I can put all my stuff from my INC over there. Luckily I don't have to worry about that anytime soon. :)

5. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Titanium is good but hardly flawless. Honestly, miui has its own backup which is flawless.

Only restore data when you need to.

Always do nandroid backup before any wipe. If tb fails you, you can restore abs try a different way.

6. 6StringDave

None

Aug 3, 2011
    Nandroid? Is that under hboot->Recovery? Somebody, somewhere on some site posted a backup process for this (I don't actually know what Nandroid is), and stated that it will backup "your entire phone", but probably not my sd card. Does software such as Titanium or miui (is that the Market name) address the non-sdcard software?

7. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010

You can do a nandroid backup in recovery or through ROM manager. It does not backup your sd but you can back that up that on your computer.

In recovery go to backup and restore, backup.

Miui is a ROM that has its own backup. Not in market.

8. 6StringDave

None

Aug 3, 2011
    I just tried to run Titanium, and it gave me this error: "Your system settings may cause problems. To correct this, go to our phone's settings, then in 'Applications' then and tick the 'USB debugging' checkbox" Well, I fixed this, but I still get this error. I'm also somewhat confused on using Titanium. I found that I could choose to run a backup only through the "Schedules" menu, and then I got an exit to my home screen. I went back to the same place to push the "Run" button again, and it said there was a process currently running. Well, it's kinda funny to see no feedback, no display of current progress, and no announcement when finished. Is there something wrong here?

It does appear there is a steep learning curve ahead, as it can remove apps as well, but nothing looks intuitive. I don't suppose it has an easy mode somewhere?

EDIT: NEVER MIND THE "USB DEBUGGING" ERROR! It was a pain, but it stopped after a phone reboot. But I'm still a bit confused as to what Titanium is doing when I get messages from it on my home screen, and how I should expect to find Restore access

9. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Check out the sticky thread on Titanium, if you still have questions, ask away. It should let you know what's going on in the task bar.

10. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

When on the screen that lists all your apps, hit the menu button, and select "batch" , that will let you make and restore backups.

6StringDave likes this.