1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help bring M8 back to life, from water damage (foam party)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DanX47, Nov 12, 2014.

1. DanX47

DanX47 Lurker

Last night I was at a foam party and I thought the foam would be harmless. There are bubbles in the screen, not as much now though.
    I also have a dot case on my phone. So as I left the place, the phone had the white HTC screen and it was in a constant vibration, then a reboot screen later on, still vibrating. I put it in a bag of rice overnight (about 7 hours).

Today when I woke up it was not vibrating anymore, I believe the phone is dead though as it needs to charge. So I plugged it in and the red light shows and it still vibrates again. I don't believe it's dead. But nothing else comes on screen.

I'm going to leave it in rice the rest of the day. Any tips on what I should do?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Bearcats

Bearcats Android Enthusiast

While you can search and find all kinds of tips on what to do, I will give you what I did when I dropped my Incredible into the commode. One even recommended a pure alcohol bath (EEK!).

I was brave enough to disassemble it pretty far. M8's from what I know are a sealed case so this might be tougher for you.

A low wattage bulb (40-60) about 8-12" from the phone and a low speed fan blowing over it. You cant remove the battery but you should stop trying to power it on and charging it. I did the light/fan for two days. Reassembled and it worked fine.

The key is what conductive chemicals are in the foam as when it dries the residue will still be there. So until you are pretty sure its dry inside (think days not hours) I would be very hesitant to power it up.

3. DanX47

DanX47 Lurker

Thanks for the tips. I'm getting another M8 sent to me tomorrow because I'm still under warranty.

Most likely they won't look to see if it's water damage since you know it's like impossible to take apart the M8.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews