• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help buying an new android phone.

johntitor

Lurker
Dec 6, 2010
Hey guys I'm planning to buy a new android phone to use with GSM Quad-band, 3G (HSDPA 900/2100) networks. I want to use it with AT&T and TELCEL.

So I have been comparing between 2 phones so far, and I want to know a general opinion about them, and also if you have any suggestion for a third phone that supports the GSM Quad-band, 3G (HSDPA 900/2100) let me know please.

So these are the phones:

1st - Samsung Galaxy S
2nd - HTC Desire Z

---
Generally I know the Galaxy S hardware specs are a little better than the HTC, but I'm not so sure about the real behavior of this devices. I just want to make sure I'm not closing into this 2 options or taking a wrong decision

Thank You!

Ouch. I haven't noticed how much internal memory it has but I hope it's a lot!

16gb, which I think is about the average of what most people run for the lifetime of their phone. This is sort of like the batery swap argument against getting an iPhone. I thought I would hate it, but never once, in three years, ran into a situation where I wished I could swap memory or battery.

Upvote 0
16gb, which I think is about the average of what most people run for the lifetime of their phone.

Depends on the user. I know plenty of users with 16+ GB of media on their devices. Movies will definitely do it. I have 32GB that is almost full, and that's just with a handful of movies (some TV shows, podcasts and music on there too).

All depends what sort of user you are, and what your intended use of the device is.

This is sort of like the batery swap argument against getting an iPhone. I thought I would hate it, but never once, in three years, ran into a situation where I wished I could swap memory or battery.
Well, your battery now has a fraction of its original storage capacity as when you bought it new. If you don't use it enough to notice this reduced capacity, that's one thing... but again, another user might realize that they get a few hours less charge than when they bought it, and be bothered by it. Even lithium batteries get tired over time, and 2-4 years isn't uncommon to get to the point where the remaining capacity becomes unacceptable for the user.

I had my old phone for 5 years, and replaced the battery twice. I probably did more charge-discharge cycles than most people during that time. If I had been unable to replace the battery, I'd have been pissed. I also kept spare charged batteries handy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones