• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP - cannot update firmware via kies

My regedit looks nothing like this!!

Admittedly I am having problems connecting to Kies - STILL! - so it probably has something to do with that.

When I try to connect the phone and go into regedit I do get a similar screen as above but my folders are numbered 1,2,3,4. None of them contain lines titled 'product code' or 'software revision' or 'hidswver', basically anything that mentions a firmware code so obviously Im unable to edit them :(

I did manage to succesfully root my phone and apply a lagfix (check me out!! LOL) and am now quite happy with the phone even on the current firmware.... amazing!! Get a quadrant score of 2250 now too!!!!

Ok first of all the numbers at the side dont make a difference they will always be 1234 if you only connect one phone to your kies if you connect a second phone they will be 5678 and so on.

Second if your phone is not deceted by kies the reg file will not show product code, hidswver or software revision

I suggest you connect your phone go to device manager and uninstall the drivers, disconnected and start kies reconnect your phone and wait till new drivers install when the phone shows up in kies open regedit

Also DEVCONINFO can be left blank and kies will auto rebuild this when it installs the firmware

Upvote 0
the reg hack bit,that doesnt break the warranty does it?

I did check the 28 sept post and read about it,but I also found another post

This is what you should see when you enter *#272*HHmm#(HHmm= 24 hour clock)
Attachment 10433
scroll down until you see XEU click on it and then on install. Beware it will reset your phone back to how it was originally so back up anything important, contacts photos ect.
If this doesn't work try the registry:
open kies and connect your phone,
open regedit,
kies should already be shown, if not this is the registry key HKey_current_user\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\1 2(this number may vary)
under kies there are sub folders 1, 2, ect click on each one in turn and check the right hand pane until you find the product code/sales code, double click it and change the last 3 letters from what you have now VOD to XEU(for the UK)
close regedit and go back to kies and click on firmware update and then ctrl+ant+U+P this will put kies into test mode it should now show a update to JM1.
REMEMBER WHILE DOING THE ABOVE TO KEEP KIES RUNNING AND YOUR PHONE CONNECTED
good luck
02092010087.jpg

does both of these works,it seems after putting XEU on preconfig you dont need to do the reg hack?,

and I see that hes from the UK and says that it only works in the UK,can anyone clarify?

Try the phone one first, if that doesn't work then try the registry hack.
XEU is for the UK and some European countries, which ones I'm not sure about, but there is a post on XDA developers forum about this just search for it.

Reactions: trylle
Upvote 0
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\4]
"SoftwareRevision"="I9000XXJF3/I9000OXAJF3/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3"
"ProductCode"="GT-I9000HKDXEU"
"HIDSWVER"="I9000XXJF3/I9000OXAJF3/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3"
"DEVCONINFO"=""

Copy and paste that into a Notepad doc and save as XEU.reg do not execute this file yet! With your phone connected and kies open go to regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB and check what folder your phone is in(your phone is the only folder containing phone number)
if this folder is number 4 then just execute the registry file XEU.reg if its not number 4 then right click on the the registry file XEU.reg and select edit and change number 4 in this line: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\4] to the correct one save the and execute it.

then go to kies and check for firmware update.

This will work and has worked but may change your product code and if your with vodafone void your warranty. if you can save your current product code, hidswver and software revision before executing the XEU.reg file

Upvote 0
I just got my phone yeasterday and I bluetoothed some songs from friend well they are still saying at the top of my phone that they still need downloaded and it has been 12 hours!! What am I doin wrong??

i would like to help but need more info and im also not sure your in the correct thread for this problem if you dont have a firmware update problem you will probably get an answer faster if you start a new thread.

Upvote 0
omg,For some reason I cant anything showed on the guides here on this thread to match or work.first off I typed in *#272*HHmm# and I got the sale code there and said NEE.I pressed it and pushed install and it said "must be THREE chars",I was like wtf.I dont know if it counts that the phone isnt fully charged or almost depleted.

I then checked regedit and found that on product code it said GT-I9000XXXNEE standing there already.and then I started to get pissed and thinking wtf is going on.Do I have to use XEU instead of NEE?
I need some help fast because I have been trying to press upgrade but its grayed out.it says Current version: PDA:JM2/phone JM1
This devices's version cannot be updates.
the devconinfo isnt blank either
im beginning to get pissed on Kies here,is there something Im doing wrong?
anyone from sweden with a swedish phone that have this problem?
is there like a idiot guide on yotube or here on this forum else those 2 I tried in this thread?

Upvote 0
omg,For some reason I cant anything showed on the guides here on this thread to match or work.first off I typed in *#272*HHmm# and I got the sale code there and said NEE.I pressed it and pushed install and it said "must be THREE chars",I was like wtf.I dont know if it counts that the phone isnt fully charged or almost depleted.

I then checked regedit and found that on product code it said GT-I9000XXXNEE standing there already.and then I started to get pissed and thinking wtf is going on.Do I have to use XEU instead of NEE?
I need some help fast because I have been trying to press upgrade but its grayed out.it says Current version: PDA:JM2/phone JM1
This devices's version cannot be updates.
the devconinfo isnt blank either
im beginning to get pissed on Kies here,is there something Im doing wrong?
anyone from sweden with a swedish phone that have this problem?
is there like a idiot guide on yotube or here on this forum else those 2 I tried in this thread?

ok first of all key *#1234# into your phone this will tell you the current firmware you are working on. If its an older firmware and if you would like i can try to guide you though the update process using team viewer.

Reactions: trylle
Upvote 0
ok first of all key *#1234# into your phone this will tell you the current firmware you are working on. If its an older firmware and if you would like i can try to guide you though the update process using team viewer.

PDA:JM2
phone:Jm1
CSC:JM1

is the current fw.

I also have some other question regarding apps.
So I have just bought a microSDHC 32gb class 2 card to store alot movies series and stuff and music ofc.So therefore I want an alarm clock with good customization like snoozing,setting multiple alarms and so I can set to my own mp3 tone.

I also need a rss feedback which are gonna go on my home screen.I have already downloaded a program called myRSS,but on that one I cant add feeds for some reason,it says invalid feed all the time when I enter an url.
on the same rss app I need which is like 8-10 feeds 1 and 1 line downwards which showes the latest news and when I click on the latest feed it takes me to the site.

3rd
I need a calender which are easy to use,and its very stylish and very good info and settings when adding appointments and such.I dont not have gmail account so I cant sync it.

4th

on my samsung F480 I can write like an unread message and then save it as a sms unsendt.but I cant do that on my SGS,or maybee you can and its me thats just stupid:p.
Is there like an app/widget which allows me to do that.

5th
I already have yr.no weather widget installed,but I see alot of awesome weather widgets,I think its the one with HTC sense clock which are really stylish and if it showes the weather in the same place.

thanks for any answer regarding this issues.
I have now used my phone pretty normally,customed tw launcher and LauncherPro and was a little on the internet and took up the brightness a litte and I unplugged 0745 this morning and now showes 46% left of battery,is this normal usage?

Upvote 0
I have tried the registry hack after changing my phone code from CPW to XEU. I changed the product code in the registry and also the deviceinfo to XEU and was offered the upgrade from JF3 to JM1. The phone flashed ok with no problem and now has JM1 firmware. My problem is that now if I check for firmware upgrade kies tells me that the phone cannot be upgraded. Checking the registry the product code has reverted to CPW. Does this mean that everytime I want to check for a firmware upgrade I will need to go into the registry and make these changes each time or is there a way of making the registry hack permanent?

Upvote 0
I have tried the registry hack after changing my phone code from CPW to XEU. I changed the product code in the registry and also the deviceinfo to XEU and was offered the upgrade from JF3 to JM1. The phone flashed ok with no problem and now has JM1 firmware. My problem is that now if I check for firmware upgrade kies tells me that the phone cannot be upgraded. Checking the registry the product code has reverted to CPW. Does this mean that everytime I want to check for a firmware upgrade I will need to go into the registry and make these changes each time or is there a way of making the registry hack permanent?

Hi there,
I don't know if this will work for you but this is what I did:
Make all the changes again in the registry
and then go to file> export (choose desktop to export it to)
close the registry down and then reopen it, make sure regedit is open on the same part you have just edited and then go to file> import, select the reg file from the desktop.
Because it is a registry file it should make it permanent

hope it helps

Upvote 0
Hi Just upgraded kies today to 1.5.1.10074_45, but still can't upgrade the firmware on my phone (vodafone uk) have tried to change the product code on the phone but don't get the list after typing in the *#272*#HHMM# . So wanted to try doing it through kies but am getting confused, where is the regedit? My phones firmware is I900xxjf3. Please help!!

Upvote 0
Hi Just upgraded kies today to 1.5.1.10074_45, but still can't upgrade the firmware on my phone (vodafone uk) have tried to change the product code on the phone but don't get the list after typing in the *#272*#HHMM# . So wanted to try doing it through kies but am getting confused, where is the regedit? My phones firmware is I900xxjf3. Please help!!

Hi, regedit is on your PC
XP
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type Regedit, and then click OK.

Vista & windows 7
Click on start menu and input " regedit " in the search bar and press Enter.

You will need to have kies open and your phone connected.
Any problems PM me

Reactions: Danny75
Upvote 0
Hi there,
I don't know if this will work for you but this is what I did:
Make all the changes again in the registry
and then go to file> export (choose desktop to export it to)
close the registry down and then reopen it, make sure regedit is open on the same part you have just edited and then go to file> import, select the reg file from the desktop.
Because it is a registry file it should make it permanent

hope it helps

Thanks for this info, however I must be doing something wrong. Please advise which file I need to export, because the files I have tried to export brings up the eror message, not a proper registry file and I cannot save to the desktop

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info, however I must be doing something wrong. Please advise which file I need to export, because the files I have tried to export brings up the eror message, not a proper registry file and I cannot save to the desktop

See attachment, this is what you should see. This is where you have changed the product code ect, once you have done all the changes then go to file and export it to desktop and then import it.
Don't forget under kies you will have other folders and then numbered folders, in the numbered folders you will find the keys to change, in my case it is folder 3, but this doe's vary, as long as you can see the same info as in attachment you should be ok.
It might be easier to PM me

Attachments

• Registry.JPG
    Registry.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: pace960
Upvote 0
Thanks guys changing the product code worked, now running JM1. Does seem better than JF3 (although wasn't suffering with much lag)
Thanks stylelite would never had thought to look there!!
Just hope Froyo comes soon

Hi Danny75,
Glad it worked for you. Froyo is supposed to be with us the end of September, Samsung are notoriously bad at turning out there updates so we'll have to wait and see, fingers crossed

Upvote 0
i flashed mine with JPC a week or so ago, its much faster now and kies works better with it too.

SIMLOCKED PHONES CAN NOT BE FLASHED TROUGH ODIN WITH NEW FIRMWARE UNTIL THE LOCK HAS BEEN REMOVED. its a feature operators use to stop you buying a phone and flashing it to make it sim free. :(

@ stylelite: didnt you but your phone simfree in carphone warehouse??

Upvote 0
Sorry to be a pain but I'm relatively new to all this so am still trying to learn....

I have typed in the '*#272....... thingy' and see that my code is 'VOD' - which makes sense as I am on Vodafone in London UK. My problem is, how and where do you change the code to the generic uk code? - The 272 screen doesn't seem to allow me to change anything.

BTW, I have the same problem with Kies not recognising my device... even when it is in debugging mode (with Kies both in and not in test mode).

Help needed I'm afraid!!!! :thinking:

I also can only see the VOD, I don't have any others listed as per the pic supplied by the other fella.

Again VODAFone UK. I'd like to upgrade to fix the crap GPS fixing and dropouts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones